Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Design being played with

c02cutter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Great and logical post.

Sintered SS plates = expensive.

Sand blasted or even chemically photo lithography etched with a fine pattern might be a better way 2go.

BoyntonStu
    The disc with the holes is chemically photo lithography etched , still = expensive! If my memory is correct the etched material was in the neighborhood of $900.00 per 22" x 22" section.

I did finally get some of the video out, but being mad didn't help, I lost a bunch of it to rerecording without realizing with the cap on. I did get the some of the last cell configuration, though it was after it was up and running for a bit. I'll redo the whole thing again after the new cam comes in.

This may not be active yet, but will be soon.

c02cutter Guest
    Ok redid the vid for the 3rd test. Just for the because, the second and first config to follow, just not tonight... tired.

countryboy18 Guest
    why not try the cell in the horizontal position it would alow the gas to excape the plats faster insted of sitting on the plate above it?

clarence1984 Guest
    Posting back on a reply to my post. I like the photo etching idea i used to do that with my circuit board work I used to do for my projects. It will be hard to find an acid or use it though that's environmentally friendly on stainless. I'm thinking sulfuric acid i believe i have a little of that. I'll give it a try tonight. I'm still fond of the high density ultra fine graphite though.

c02cutter Guest
    I know that the acid etched material is possible to do, sulfuric should do it, but be very ventilated!!! I use sulfuric, and NaOH for anodizing.

I did a smack cell today using all 316SS it's a straight (+NNNNN- -NNNNN+) config. I didn't have any shrink wrap large enough for wrapping the cell, so I used a trick I know from dealing with lasers with 50000v of DC running through them. In the summer with the humidity we will have issues with high voltage arcs. This happens as DC will reroute in to where it feels is a faster point of ground. The higher the voltages, the more of a possibility of this happening. The machine always arcs to the same basic structure inside there. Well I wrap it with stretch wrap, problem solved, and it did the same in the cell. Don't recommend it as a permanent fix, but it does work.

I had never read the smack cell design pdf till being in these forums, it makes sense to wrap the outside of the cell to direct the energy flow.

hydropower KY Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    I thought this stuff might work VERY well for the neutral plates, not the anodes/cathodes.

Anybody else's comments please?
    I have been using something similar.They are the K-strainers that are used in water treatment plants.The difference is they are cylindrical.Range is 1,1.250,1.5,1.750,2,2.250,2.5,and 2.750 inch.The problem is that they are VERY expensive.They are made of 305 stainless screen.They have more surface area than anything I have found.The production seems to be more intense with lower amps. [/QUOTE]

c02cutter Guest
    The job that we used this material for required us to cut to length and width and then laser weld the material into a cylinder. The cylinder idea is good, and I think I will cut and laser weld cylinders for testing. But I will use the material as the anode and cathode just to see if it holds up.

c02cutter Guest
    Yesterday I played around with a smack style cell. It is constructed with .062 thick 316SS, and all stainless hardware That I had laying around from the other cells I have been playing around with. I found that wrapping the cell does do a lot for the electrical path, and also causes a substantial drop in amperage drawn by the cell. The cell configuration is (+NNNNN- -NNNNN+). The plates are 4”x2.5” with tabs for the stainless all thread to attach the corresponding plates. I went with all thread to conect them instead of a strap as it was convent without having to cut another part.

Here is some pictures. I notices some mineral developing in the cell, but as the distilled water was from Marks, I am convinced it is from crappy water as when I get distilled water from other places the same mix produces no mineral. Here are some pics of the cell after running it for about 15 hours.

Also video I did on it.

Question Beautiful workmanship!

Very nice, too nice!

Why?

Those beautiful plates, edges, rounded corners, connectors, etc. must be covered up and insulated for increased efficiency.

They are so pretty, I am sure it will be hard to do.

Watch Smack and Zero on Youtube and see their results with wrapping and sealing.

Again,

Great workmanship.

BoyntonStu

c02cutter Guest
    Thanks for the complement on the workmanship.

Why?

Well it's how they come off my lasers. I cut this thin stainless like butter at 125 inches per minute.

Guess I ought to do a video for you guys of the machine cutting plates. Might grant a better understanding to what a laser is capable of.