Thread: What the ???

Question What the ???

I have a 13 plate setup (8"x8" 304 S\steel)with solid centre plate (+) and outside plates (-)

I have recently been having a problem with foaming and the water level only covering about 1 to 2 inches at the most. I had been adding a bit more demineralized water with some KOH trying to get my amps up to around 25 to 30

I neglected to do anything about it, as we all know, and then last Tuesday I decided to check it out completely expecting to have a full pull down and rebuild

However firstly I thought i would try to empty the cell and flush it out with demin. water

I had approx 600 ml of KOH solution come out of the cell and I put in approx 1.2 litres of demin. water only. Next I decided that I would run the cell with the water only, just to see what would happen. To my amazement the cell went back into full operation at around 18 amps and producing nearly 1.4 lpm. The water level only dropped about 1" from the top

It has been going like this for the last couple of days without a hitch. So why did this happen ??? I would have expected the cell to produce very little hho but it was the exact opposite.

Has the KOH some how been able to bind to the plates and create the electrolysis or am I missing something?? Any ideas would be appreciated

KOH doesn't rinse out real easily if you haven't already noticed, and demineralized is not distilled water, it still has some minerals in it along with other dissolved solids & chemicals. Granted, not a lot but some. Couple the remnants of un-flushed KOH and whatever is in the water and you have suficient electrolyte left for the unit to function.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Biofarmer for reply, but the fact that I displaced 600 ml of KOH with approx 1200ml of demineralized water and still came up with the electrolysis of around the same amperage is mystifying
    Could it mean that I will only get a max of say 19 amps from the unit no matter what amount of KOH I put in ??
    I would have thought that a unit of my size would easily reach 30 amps. That is 15 amps to each cell with a 1.5mm gap and the voltage of each gap = 2.2V
    I will have to try and increase amperage by adding more KOH solution when my unit needs a refill. Hopefully this will work
    I do not have a PWM and prefer to use brute force

Grasack,
    I won't speculate about the possible amperage draws or production capabilities of your unit, but I will offer the opinion that there was enough of some conductive chemical left in your e-lyzer after you rinsed it out to promote gas production. I am unable to say whether it was electrolyte or some chemical in the water itself, but it is inarguable that there was something there acting as an electrolyte. That or you have accidentally stumbled onto Stan Meyers magical mystical resonance that allows one to make lots of HHO with no electrolyte.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is that what this guy is doing? no electrolyte right? mmmm. thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/user/o2baener.../2/Iwd6ulPkXHQ
    2000 ford focus zx3 2.0L Zetec, dual o2 extenders, volo-fs2. scanguage2 ; mountain driving. base ~26, now ~30mpg.