Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: scientists find way to make cheap gas from coal

Quote Originally Posted by HHO BLASTER View Post
    Of course the MIT BREAKTHROUGH WAS ON HHO, IT SPLIT WATER DID IT NOT????
    I remember the other breakthrough at MIT . Are you talking about the cobalt, phosphate electrolysis work being done ( I forgot the name of the profesor his work allows a non-nobel metal to be used as the anode, unfortunatly platinum is still used as a cathode. At least he's got half the equasion figured out.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/oxygen-0731.html

SOOOOOOOOOO, WHERE IS THIS NOW? IT'S REAL, IT'S HIDDEN BOUGHT OUT BY A SMALL COMPANY AND EVEN THE PATENT IS HIDDEN FOR 18 MONTHS HOW DO I KNOW THIS, MY BUDDY IS A PATENT LAWYER AND CHECKED IT OUT

BET BIG OIL BOUGHT THEM OUT BY USING A SMALL COMPANY THAT THEY OWN TO BUY THEM

IT'S GONE FOR GOOD, IT WOULD TAKE A ACT OF CONGRESS TO FREE IT

Yep... same thing happens every time a promising technology comes down the pike. big money buys it out and it never sees the light of day. MIT does facinating work but it seams there just *****s for research funding

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    Yep... same thing happens every time a promising technology comes down the pike. big money buys it out and it never sees the light of day. MIT does facinating work but it seams there just *****s for research funding
    I think the bloom box may stay because big players are using it and it was on CBS BUT AMERICANS HAVE SHORT MEMORIES

Ah, the Nocera research

Thanks for the link. I do remember reading this article a few years back. It does produce hydrogen and oxygen gas.

It is good lab work, but really is too far removed for industrial introduction. The problem is that it mimics photosynthesis, to a degree - meaning it is a slow process. As it stands, the Nocera device would have to be the size of a large warehouse to provide the hydrogen gas needed to power a small town. This can be improved upon if more work is done, and I have no doubt they are working on it, but it may be sometime before this sees the market - my guess is 10 to 20 years - if it makes it at all. That is the problem with most of this research one never knows what will be a viable principle to build an industrial process upon. You just have to do the research.

As to the hidden patent. It probably is in the provisional stage. It is hidden,as the formal process goes forward. Rejections, editing and reapplication follow. This is normal for a patent application. Once a patent is granted, it becomes public.

In summary, a lot of good science can become good research but doesn't always become good industry. There are thousands of energy patents that will never see the market because of various pitfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    Thanks for the link. I do remember reading this article a few years back. It does produce hydrogen and oxygen gas.

It is good lab work, but really is too far removed for industrial introduction. The problem is that it mimics photosynthesis, to a degree - meaning it is a slow process. As it stands, the Nocera device would have to be the size of a large warehouse to provide the hydrogen gas needed to power a small town. This can be improved upon if more work is done, and I have no doubt they are working on it, but it may be sometime before this sees the market - my guess is 10 to 20 years - if it makes it at all. That is the problem with most of this research one never knows what will be a viable principle to build an industrial process upon. You just have to do the research.

As to the hidden patent. It probably is in the provisional stage. It is hidden,as the formal process goes forward. Rejections, editing and reapplication follow. This is normal for a patent application. Once a patent is granted, it becomes public.

In summary, a lot of good science can become good research but doesn't always become good industry. There are thousands of energy patents that will never see the market because of various pitfalls.
    No it's not in the provisional stage, you can do a check yourself, it's in a very special thing, i forgot what my buddy called it, but it can be 18 months and they can renew it to keep it, to keep from ever seeing the light of day so if you thing the free market is good, here is the perfect example it's not all the time

Just watch this coal to oil project, die on the vine

Patents

No it's not in the provisional stage, you can do a check yourself, it's in a very special thing, i forgot what my buddy called it, but it can be 18 months and they can renew it to keep it, to keep from ever seeing the light of day so if you thing the free market is good, here is the perfect example it's not all the time

Just watch this coal to oil project, die on the vine
    Why would someone NOT cash in on an idea? The energy sector dwarfs the medical sector. A small slice could yield BILLIONS in profits. I contend people are inherently greedy, and no one could keep an idea with true value from seeing the light of day. No one, and that includes the government. Conspiracy theorist just miss the fact that most of these "hallelujah" inventions are patents that don't work in the market.

Take the 200mpg carburetor. I was one of those college kids during the 70's gas crisis who had access to a machine shop and a college library. We made a heated vapor carburetor that doubled the mileage of our big old Dodge. What the patent failed to tell you is that power was minimal, and that thing could barely do 40 mph.

There are already dozens of coal to liquid patents filed in the last year alone. Ad to that the tar sands to liquids. How about bio mass to liquids. The government cannot keep all these ideas from coming into widespread use if they are valid. Most of these patents are filed in the EU and Asian markets as well. I doubt our evil government has THAT much reach. The Chinese don't even care about patents, and steal ideas willy nilly. They are using several coal to liquid technologies. They will use what works. No matter what our MIB government thinks of it.

Patents do not stop people from USING your ideas. It only allows you to sue them in a court of law. And, even if you have a patent, believe me, there are smart teams of lawyers,scientists and engineers that do nothing but figure out ways to circumvent and/or nullify your patent. I know, I used to be on one of those corporate teams. Greed is a powerful and driving force. If the Texas coal to oil Idea has any merit, I guarantee you there are corporate spies who will be working on ways to avoid the patents and build there own technology and get a piece of the HUGE energy pie!

Do you know that multi axis CNC machining equipment was considered crucial enough to national security, that the government frowned on overseas sales. It didn't matter. The technology was too valuable and German and Japanese firms developed their own versions and ran with it. Now you can buy multi axis machining centers capable of producing critical components for a nuclear device. For a reasonable price. I know, I have three of them. The government couldn't stop it.

The market may not be kind to the individuals needs, but it is good at making money. If your idea helps someone make a pile of money, no power on earth is gonna stop it. Assuming it really works!

Now watch, Obama's men are going to catch the phrase "nuclear device" in this post and blame it on the thread originator! Watch out Blaster! The MIB will come knocking!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    Why would someone NOT cash in on an idea? The energy sector dwarfs the medical sector. A small slice could yield BILLIONS in profits. I contend people are inherently greedy, and no one could keep an idea with true value from seeing the light of day. No one, and that includes the government. Conspiracy theorist just miss the fact that most of these "hallelujah" inventions are patents that don't work in the market.

Take the 200mpg carburetor. I was one of those college kids during the 70's gas crisis who had access to a machine shop and a college library. We made a heated vapor carburetor that doubled the mileage of our big old Dodge. What the patent failed to tell you is that power was minimal, and that thing could barely do 40 mph.

There are already dozens of coal to liquid patents filed in the last year alone. Ad to that the tar sands to liquids. How about bio mass to liquids. The government cannot keep all these ideas from coming into widespread use if they are valid. Most of these patents are filed in the EU and Asian markets as well. I doubt our evil government has THAT much reach. The Chinese don't even care about patents, and steal ideas willy nilly. They are using several coal to liquid technologies. They will use what works. No matter what our MIB government thinks of it.

Patents do not stop people from USING your ideas. It only allows you to sue them in a court of law. And, even if you have a patent, believe me, there are smart teams of lawyers,scientists and engineers that do nothing but figure out ways to circumvent and/or nullify your patent. I know, I used to be on one of those corporate teams. Greed is a powerful and driving force. If the Texas coal to oil Idea has any merit, I guarantee you there are corporate spies who will be working on ways to avoid the patents and build there own technology and get a piece of the HUGE energy pie!

Do you know that multi axis CNC machining equipment was considered crucial enough to national security, that the government frowned on overseas sales. It didn't matter. The technology was too valuable and German and Japanese firms developed their own versions and ran with it. Now you can buy multi axis machining centers capable of producing critical components for a nuclear device. For a reasonable price. I know, I have three of them. The government couldn't stop it.

The market may not be kind to the individuals needs, but it is good at making money. If your idea helps someone make a pile of money, no power on earth is gonna stop it. Assuming it really works!

Now watch, Obama's men are going to catch the phrase "nuclear device" in this post and blame it on the thread originator! Watch out Blaster! The MIB will come knocking!
    It will end up like the MIT DEAL, SORRY THERE ARE VERY RICH ARABS WHO

WILL KILL SO CHINA DOES NOT GET IT, THEY WANT CHINA'S BUSINESS

SORRY BUT IT'S HISTORY, THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE IT LIKE THE BLOOM

THING, OR SELL IT TO ISRAEL, WHY ISRAEL BECAUSE THEY WANT THE ARABS

TO LOSE THERE MONEY, BECAUSE IT'S SUPPORTS THE ARAB WAR WITH

ISRAEL PLUS THEY HAVE NO OIL, AND IMPORT IT AT A HIGH PRICE

It will end up like the MIT DEAL, SORRY THERE ARE VERY RICH ARABS WHO

WILL KILL SO CHINA DOES NOT GET IT, THEY WANT CHINA'S BUSINESS

SORRY BUT IT'S HISTORY, THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE IT LIKE THE BLOOM

THING, OR SELL IT TO ISRAEL, WHY ISRAEL BECAUSE THEY WANT THE ARABS

TO LOSE THERE MONEY, BECAUSE IT'S SUPPORTS THE ARAB WAR WITH

ISRAEL PLUS THEY HAVE NO OIL, AND IMPORT IT AT A HIGH PRICE

Wow Blaster, it is clear you will hear only what you desire to hear and see what you want to see.

China is ALREADY using various coal to liquid technologies! There is nothing that the Arabs can do about that.

South Africa has been using advanced versions of the Fisher-Tropsch process for decades. The Arabs can do nothing about that.

Canada is our number one oil supplier mainly from the Tar Sand deposits they hold in abundance and are developing ever cleaner and more efficient methods to extract the oil. There is absolutely nothing the Arabs can do about that.

Someday soon the Arab nations will run out of oil. There is nothing the Arabs can do about that - except invest in their future! Many Arab countries are buying and developing and deploying alternative energy technologies because they know full well, that is going to be the future.

I have several colleagues who work with bio-tech firms developing the oil from algae approach to our fuel needs. The technology is promising, but with many hurdles yet to cross. They are only one of dozens of teams working this technological slant. They have not been threatened or killed by ninjas. They are sure the process will someday be viable.

Along with their work will be literally dozens of effective processes to bridge us to the next energy revolution - nuclear fusion.

And there is nothing the Arabs can do about that.

HHO_BLASTER, my dad worked for Shell Oil for over 25 years. He's an engineer. He's a good man. You need to remember that oil companies are made up of many, many, many, good, hard working people that have a moral compass, just like most companies. When you say "Big Oil probably bought out the patents", it sure sounds like you are implying there is a massive conspiracy at work with the goal of supressing the little guy, and keeping the little guy down, just for the sake of keeping the little guy down. That's victim mentality. It's stupid.

The idea that they are doing this for profit, on the other hand, isn't AS stupid, but it's still pretty dumb. Assuming they have the patent on this ground breaking technology, it would be MORE profitable to capitalize on it, move towards being the sole provider of the technology, and gain "green PR points" in the process. It's a totally win-win situation for "Big Oil" to create a monopoly on the technology. However, in your world, they drop billions in capital to "buy out" this technology, just to throw it in the trash can so that they can stay in the less profitable oil business... Right.

Remember, it takes ---HUGE--- amounts of money to get that oil out of the ground. It's not a cheap business. You have HUGE amounts of skilled labor to pay, and project planning to do. I know this forum is devoted to the advancement of HHO useage, but I'm sick and tired of people bad mouthing the oil companies for providing a CHEAP(yes, I said cheap when you look at profit vs. costs ratio in the business) product to you. If you want to blame someone for your high fuel prices, blame OPEC and the jacka$$ speculators trying to make a buck off of oil futures.

As for your whole insurance industry garbage... It's lunacy. Insurance industry profit margins are < 10%. Think about what that means(verify it, too!)... That means that even if you took insurance companies profits COMPLETELY out of your medical costs, that's still 90% of $5,000 cost for a broken leg... But I guess you'd be ok with paying the $4,500 for a broken leg... That's not where the huge costs are, BUT like most people that soak up the politicians scapegoat non-sense, you don't realize that the HUGE majority of costs are in the other form of insurance.... i.e. medical malpractice insurance. I was talking to my doctor a few months back and in the chitchat, he mentioned that over 50% of his operating costs go to his liability insurance. Everytime you go the to doctor, you're giving half your money to some jacka$$ trial lawyer by proxy of the insurance claims when someone sues for an owwwey on their toe following "medical negligance". You're right - we need reform, but NOT the kind of useless, political point scoring, crap that Obama and his media keep pushing. We need tort reform ASAP.

Anyway, sorry to hijack that thread for a bit, RustyLugNut.