Thread: HHO torch Flashback Arrestor?

HHO torch Flashback Arrestor?

Hello,
    I have been using bronze wool as my flashback arrestor, but now since I am operating in the 2.2 LPM section, the bronze wool almost never works anymore and it blows the top on the bubbler every time I shut off the torch. What is a good arrestor to use that won't build up back pressure? Because I found that when I had my bronze wool in a small diameter tube it built up to much pressure and the LPM dropped quite a bit. They got better when I packed the wool in a larger diameter brass pipe.

Pretty much, whats a good cheap DIY flashback arrestor that works well with drycells and torches?

Thanks

Even with back pressure, your LPM shouldn't drop substaintially... Do you have a leak somewhere? That's the only reason your back pressure should drop with minimal back pressure(<10psi). It's best to port your small diameter tube to a large diameter section stuffed with bronze wool, then port the other side to small diameter again(if you REALLY want small diameter). This way there is plenty of cross sectional area for the gas to flow through, but the density of the wool can still be higher, providing adequate flash back qualities. With a small diameter tube and the same wool density, you'll have more gas restriction due to the small cross sectional area.

Thanks for the quick response... How is this looking?

I have this thing stuffed with as much fine bronze wool as humanly possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    Even with back pressure, your LPM shouldn't drop substaintially... Do you have a leak somewhere? That's the only reason your back pressure should drop with minimal back pressure(<10psi). It's best to port your small diameter tube to a large diameter section stuffed with bronze wool, then port the other side to small diameter again(if you REALLY want small diameter). This way there is plenty of cross sectional area for the gas to flow through, but the density of the wool can still be higher, providing adequate flash back qualities. With a small diameter tube and the same wool density, you'll have more gas restriction due to the small cross sectional area.
    I agree except for one point that I have proven over and over. Pressure will NEVER result in lower production. At least with anything we can contain. Lower production because of back pressure is always caused by a leak. Hydrogen is very small and will leak in substantial amounts in even small enough gaps thet water can not leak from. I pun 60 PSI and above in my cell constantly and actually bet better production due to the cell staying completely full of water. (NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL)

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverRat View Post
    Hello,
    I have been using bronze wool as my flashback arrestor, but now since I am operating in the 2.2 LPM section, the bronze wool almost never works anymore and it blows the top on the bubbler every time I shut off the torch. What is a good arrestor to use that won't build up back pressure? Because I found that when I had my bronze wool in a small diameter tube it built up to much pressure and the LPM dropped quite a bit. They got better when I packed the wool in a larger diameter brass pipe.

Pretty much, whats a good cheap DIY flashback arrestor that works well with drycells and torches?

Thanks
    HHOconnection on this forum makes a kickbutt flashport. Mike is a great guy he has helped me a lot in the past. I use one of this design and I can definitely say I won't run my system w/o one.
    Here's his video.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hhoconne.../2/n3dborjNIBE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

HHOG labs has the only one ive seen that has low back pressure even at high gas production .

A little pricy but it is worth it for some applictions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4jY...ayer_embedded#

http://www.hhoglabs.com/hhoflasharrestors.htm
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

How do you build HHOConnections Arrestor?

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    HHOconnection on this forum makes a kickbutt flashport. Mike is a great guy he has helped me a lot in the past. I use one of this design and I can definitely say I won't run my system w/o one.
    Here's his video.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hhoconne.../2/n3dborjNIBE
    While I'm flattered by the kind words I have to say that what I build is not a flashback arrestor. What I build is a flash port that I put on my bubblers in case a flashback gets past the flashback arrestor. And I cannot take credit for this design either, several others including PulseFuelNerd from EBN were the first to build flash ports similar to mine.

Back to what flashback arrestor to use. I too gave up on bronze wool packed arrestors. It got to the point where I was embarrassed to show off my torch because the arrestor would start smoking then a big bang as my bubbler took the hit. My solution was to buy a couple flashback arrestors from Bruce Energetics. At $6.95 each they are a bargain! I use two of them inline about 6 inches apart. I have never had a flashback get past the first one. I think they have the best arrestors on the market for the money. Here is a link to one of their videos and a link to one of their eBay auctions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSPn...layer_embedded

http://cgi.ebay.com/HHO-FLASHBACK-AR...item3a5808c3ee

Bruce Energetics flashback arrestor

I agree Bruce Energetics are a bargain and work great. But They do create a a good amount of "back" pressure at 2 lpm. the pressure was over 20 PSI when i check one application. But keep in mind most cells dont have a problem with back pressure.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."