Thread: flashback arrestor

flashback arrestor

couple questions about it.

1.I saw videos how to build flashback arrestor most of this guys recommend to use bronze wood well i couldn't find it bronze wool so i bought steel wood.
    But after that i was wondering if the steel wool after a while is not gonna get rusted?

2. is the bronze wool get rusted at all?

3.Other thing i use 4 inch 1/2 plastic pipe and 2x 3/8 to 1/2 bard fitting i put steel wool inside i mean a loooot of wool.But when i tested the fire go thru all the way to the bubler and probably you know what was next. yup exactly big boom and big mess

4. one video show to use aquarium stone bublers when building flashback arrestor.What you guys thing about this design?

Brass wool, bronze wool, steel wool... they all suck! You WILL get flashbacks using any of these. What will happen is the steel wool will catch fire, you will see smoke coming out of your torch, and then BANG! You want a cheap solution, put a couple of these in line. $6.95 each from Bruce Energetics. I have yet to have a flashback get past the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSPnh2_-4o

http://cgi.ebay.com/HHO-FLASHBACK-AR...item3a5808b5b9

Don't use steel wool

He's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJtEORpx4w

HHO connection knows what he's talking about. I would follow his advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

steal wool seems like it would rust very fast, your putting it into a moist environment which has a very high O2 content.

I could be completely wrong about this;
    the way a flashback arrester works.
    So you have gas in a hose, and it is burning. The flame (might look more like an explosion) is putting out heat that is igniting gas further down the hose. Then this flame gets to this mass of fiber. The flame's heat is absorbed by the metal fibers and thereby preventing the ignition of gas within the arrester.
    so if this is all true the ideal materiel would be very fine and conduct heat really well.
    copper could work, but it would get green and crusty, and then wouldn't work
    steal, same thing, but more brown, and oh yeah, it burns
    Stainless steal, if of a good alloy could work, not the best conductor
    Brass, best choice

There are likely some important things to consider that i left out.

there is a vid on youtube of a guy testing an arrester with a balloon of HHO, seems like the best test, the vid shows the arrester failing, good to see before doing your tests.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

hey, two posts while i was writing that last one, new record. cheap one-way values seem like a better solution. Jamming a little brass wool into your hose could add another level of safety, that might fail, but the check valve might too. Check valves are very simple devices, I don't think i'd pay 7 bucks for one. I know they make really small ones for aquariums, to keep water from siphoning into your air pump if something goes wrong. Don't know how well these ones word work for flash backs, but could be tested.
    a bumbler is a good flashback arrester, a second smaller would keep the mess down...
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_ View Post
    Check valves are very simple devices, I don't think i'd pay 7 bucks for one. I know they make really small ones for aquariums, to keep water from siphoning into your air pump if something goes wrong. Don't know how well these ones word work for flash backs, but could be tested.
    a bumbler is a good flashback arrester, a second smaller would keep the mess down...
    DO NOT USE CHECK VALVES! Trust me I have seen them fail miserably. Please check out the ones I posted. I don't sell them, hell I have nothing to do with them other than think they are the best solution for the $.

thank you all i think i am gona build one myself i am just gona use those aquarium stone on both sides and i will put inside the bronze pipe with 2 barb fittings on each side

You can make one with a filter canister and a spun polyester sediment prefilter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKplIM0ahCo