Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ac to dc converter

nice post but i think it's too much math and calculation involve into it to get what i want and also it's to dangerous with out the knowledge

I would only go the PC ATX PSU route if you don't plan on putting it in your car. If you run off of 12 volts vs 13.8 volts you have to have 1 less N plate to have the same voltage per gap. In short, if you are going to put it in your car, find a 13.8 volt, otherwise, the atx PSU will work perfect as long as you build your cell with 4 N plates.

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    nice post but i think it's too much math and calculation involve into it to get what i want and also it's to dangerous with out the knowledge
    No math, some trial and error trust me i hate math the hardest part is knocking out the transformer secondary

what got my attention one power supply has this specification

Load Range +3.3V@26A; +5V@32A; +12V1@14A; +12V2@17A; -12V@1.5A; +5VSB@2.5A

Combined +12V Rating 228 Watts

it looks like i can combine +12v1 and +12v2 together and then it will give me more Amps

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    what got my attention one power supply has this specification

Load Range +3.3V@26A; +5V@32A; +12V1@14A; +12V2@17A; -12V@1.5A; +5VSB@2.5A

Combined +12V Rating 228 Watts

it looks like i can combine +12v1 and +12v2 together and then it will give me more Amps
    Of course you can

You CAN, but it's not a good idea. The 12V rails are usually SLIGHTLY different voltages, so if you turn the PSU on without a load, but the rails are connected in parallel, expect sparks to fly, a breaker to trip, or a fuse to blow. However, if the rails are severely loaded, it won't be a problem. It's just when they aren't....

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    You CAN, but it's not a good idea. The 12V rails are usually SLIGHTLY different voltages, so if you turn the PSU on without a load, but the rails are connected in parallel, expect sparks to fly, a breaker to trip, or a fuse to blow. However, if the rails are severely loaded, it won't be a problem. It's just when they aren't....
    Exactly, that is why I recommended that you use a single 12 volt rail PSU like the ones I linked in an earlier post.

ok thx a lot