Thread: volts vs amps

volts vs amps

what is relation volt to amps in dry cell i mean like what is more important volts or amps? I know that amps taken by dry cell depend on the mixture and volt are limited by car battery. What about if i will use AC to DC converter i should have like over 100v dc which i can connected to the battery right? which should incrise production?

The more volts you run, the more amps you can push through with less resistance. For example, if you are running 2v through 50 plates, you will not be able to draw as many amps as if you ran 50v through 50 plates. Higher voltage is able to carry more current with more ease.

If you ask me, I think volts and amps shouldn't be overemphasized when it comes to production. A cell running on 600v and 0.5A is like a cell running on 12v and 25A. The amount of energy running through both cells is the same (300 watts). That's the way I look at it. There are of course other factors involved as well, like surface area of your plates and amount of current leakage.

I don't know I nice way to say this, but . . . No.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    The more volts you run, the more amps you can push through with less resistance. For example, if you are running 2v through 50 plates, you will not be able to draw as many amps as if you ran 50v through 50 plates. Higher voltage is able to carry more current with more ease.

If you ask me, I think volts and amps shouldn't be overemphasized when it comes to production. A cell running on 600v and 0.5A is like a cell running on 12v and 25A. The amount of energy running through both cells is the same (300 watts). That's the way I look at it. There are of course other factors involved as well, like surface area of your plates and amount of current leakage.
    The two cells you made up in your examples are the very opposites of what we are trying for in an electrolysis hho generator.

Both are using 300W but one is passing .5A while the other is passing 25A. Amperage is what produces HHO. All the other variables dictate efficiency. All else being equal, the .5A cell is only 1/50 th as efficient as the 25A cell.

The rule of thumb we follow, is to produce the highest current with the minimum driving voltage.

This then is the secret to high MMW, and why we fool with plate material/configuration and spacing and electrolytes and . . . to minimize the voltage needed by the cell stack to pass the greatest amount of current.

i=V/ohm
    so
    V=i x ohm
    and
    ohm= i/V

(i is current in Amps, V is volts, ohm a unit of resistance)

i x V= Power in Watts

This said, any voltage over 1.23 per gap is going to be making mostly heat.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

so which ac to dc converter i should buy without spending big $$$ should i look at big amp or at V

You should find one that is of proper voltage for your cell. If you have 50-70 gaps you could use a 120VDC transformer. If you have a cell designed for 12-14V you should use a transformer of that voltage.
    As far as Amps, you want a transformer that can handle at least 30% more than the most you'll draw with your cell.
    A 10V 20amp transformer will do the same thing as a 10V 100amp transformer if you cell is only drawing 10 amps. As this cell would have a resistance of 1 ohm. A higher amp rating just means that it is able to putting out more current.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

ok great thx for info