Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: At startup, pulls huge amps then quickly backs off...

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverRat View Post
    Ok, thanks.
    Before with the 1/20th or so gaps the cell would start at 34 amps and drop to 19 amps. Now with the 1/8th inch gaps the cell starts at 30 and drops to about 26 or 27. I suppose that is quite a bit better. Quick question: why does the electrolyte appear to be pumping or pulsing in the cell output line? The gas flow speeds up, then slows down, then speeds up...
    Internal cell pressure. Simple as that.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Is it normal

Ok, thanks.
    Before with the 1/20th or so gaps the cell would start at 34 amps and drop to 19 amps. Now with the 1/8th inch gaps the cell starts at 30 and drops to about 26 or 27. I suppose that is quite a bit better. Quick question: why does the electrolyte appear to be pumping or pulsing in the cell output line? The gas flow speeds up, then slows down, then speeds up...

I read most of these posts. How far above your generator is your reservoir ?
    Increasing this distance has helped my cure the problem your are experiencing.

The reservoir is about 4 inches above the top of the cell. I actually have one more question (probably more). The cell now has 2 input barbs and 2 output barbs. The output barbs each have their own hose and their own connection to the reservoir, but the two input barbs to the cell are tee'd off and share 1 common barb on the reservoir. The tubing is also 1/4th everywhere. Would it help to give the reservoir two separate output holes that go to each side of the cell rather than sharing one hole? Also, is 1/4th big enough?

The reservoir is about 4 inches above the top of the cell. I actually have one more question (probably more). The cell now has 2 input barbs and 2 output barbs. The output barbs each have their own hose and their own connection to the reservoir, but the two input barbs to the cell are tee'd off and share 1 common barb on the reservoir. The tubing is also 1/4th everywhere. Would it help to give the reservoir two separate output holes that go to each side of the cell rather than sharing one hole? Also, is 1/4th big enough?
    It is normal for most cells to pump like yours. Once you get up to 5 or 6 LPM you will notice it stop and become more even. You will need a much bigger device to make that type of production. So far you have done very well with switch plate covers.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by delvis11 View Post
    I read most of these posts. How far above your generator is your reservoir ?
    Increasing this distance has helped my cure the problem your are experiencing.
    Welcome Steve. This forum can always use people with your kind of experience.

Larry

Ok... Another thing I noticed was that when the cell is warmed up and you switch it on after everthing has equalized, it will draw about 60 amps for around 1/4th second and then imediately drop to 30 amps (fast, not a gradual drop like before). I don't think the electrolyte level in the cell is dropping becuase I am using 1/4 inch hoses and have two outputs and two inputs to the cell (should be good to keep pressure out of cell). Is this burst to 60 amps some sort of electrical inrush that happens when you first turn it on because at that split second there is perfect electrical contact between the plates before the bubbles are formed? If needed I can get a video of it...

Ok... Another thing I noticed was that when the cell is warmed up and you switch it on after everthing has equalized, it will draw about 60 amps for around 1/4th second and then imediately drop to 30 amps (fast, not a gradual drop like before). I don't think the electrolyte level in the cell is dropping becuase I am using 1/4 inch hoses and have two outputs and two inputs to the cell (should be good to keep pressure out of cell). Is this burst to 60 amps some sort of electrical inrush that happens when you first turn it on because at that split second there is perfect electrical contact between the plates before the bubbles are formed? If needed I can get a video of it...
    Your entire cell is acting just like a capacitor. When you first start it up it charges with energy then settles down to only the amount of current being used.

Ok, good to know it is normal. Anyway, on second thoughts I think the cell may still be having electrolyte problems. Here is what the cell consists of so far:

25 plates with 7/32" (.875/4) holes (one top, one bottom)
    1/8th inch gaskets
    2 1/4th inlets (one on each side)
    2 1/4th outlets (one on each side)
    The inlets share one outlet from reservoir
    the gas outlets each have their own reservoir inlet

What is wrong with this setup? What else can I change?

I thought the 1/8th inch gaskets fixed the problem, but upon further testing it is still very present. When the cell warms up just a little bit (5 minutes of running) it gets much worse. I have a new video to describe what I am saying.

Ok, good to know it is normal. Anyway, on second thoughts I think the cell may still be having electrolyte problems. Here is what the cell consists of so far:

25 plates with 7/32" (.875/4) holes (one top, one bottom)
    1/8th inch gaskets
    2 1/4th inlets (one on each side)
    2 1/4th outlets (one on each side)
    The inlets share one outlet from reservoir
    the gas outlets each have their own reservoir inlet

What is wrong with this setup? What else can I change?

I thought the 1/8th inch gaskets fixed the problem, but upon further testing it is still very present. When the cell warms up just a little bit (5 minutes of running) it gets much worse. I have a new video to describe what I am saying.
    You may just have to face the fact that with plates the size you are using you may never be able to get the amount of volume of gas that you want. You keep pushing for that 30 amp mark. With the stainless cell I was running in my truck I had 51 6" X 8" plates with a quarter inch gap. I was running that cell at 65 amps MAX. That is twice as many plates and each plate had 4 times the amount of exposed surface area as you have. With the gap double and 8 times the amount of exposed area I was only drawing twice the amount of current as you are. From what I seen on your video it seems that you can get 25 amps. That would mean that apples to apples I would have had to use 200 amps.

You may simply be filling the cell with gas. I have never pushed a normal stainless dry cell that hard. With other exotic cells I have pushed much harder but they could take the heat.

Larry