Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At startup, pulls huge amps then quickly backs off...

At startup, pulls huge amps then quickly backs off...

Hello,
    Ever since I have been using my dry cell I have noticed one thing about it. When I go to turn on the PSU the cell will pull about 35 amps for about 1 second then back off to about 17. If I let it sit for 10 minutes it eventually warms up and pulls 30 amps. This is with about 10% NaOh solution. Is it normal for the cell to have a burst of power on startup and then back off? If need be I can record a video of it happening. The bubbler goes crazy for the first second!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverRat View Post
    Hello,
    Ever since I have been using my dry cell I have noticed one thing about it. When I go to turn on the PSU the cell will pull about 35 amps for about 1 second then back off to about 17. If I let it sit for 10 minutes it eventually warms up and pulls 30 amps. This is with about 10% NaOh solution. Is it normal for the cell to have a burst of power on startup and then back off? If need be I can record a video of it happening. The bubbler goes crazy for the first second!
    Thanks
    Your cell is forcing the e-lite back out the intake port. The water level is lowering in the cell. That is for sure your problem. You will need to find a way to keep the cell closer to full.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Thanks,
    do you have any ideas? I will record a video tommorow...

Thanks,
    do you have any ideas? I will record a video tommorow...
    I probably have many ideas. I have tackeled this problem over and over. It is more common than any other problem. I would have to see a video or get more info to be helpful.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Ok, I will shoot a video and post whatever info you require to help me diagnose the problem... Thanks!

It is normal for the current to drop back a little and HHO bubbles don't conduct electricity. But it should only drop to around your 30 amp warmed up draw. I think Larry has identified your problem.
    A pump is the simplest way to address this, cutting larger holes may also do the trick.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Ok, Here is a video that shows in several views what is going on during the first few seconds of switching the cell on. In this video the cell is cold for every view. This video is in HD so the quality will be very good as soon as youtube finishes processing the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKTM1QoUC7I

Nice video! Try running larger diameter gas tubing, or, if possible, an additional exhaust port on the backside. As the gas is created, the expansion rate is faster than the exhaust can handle, so the back-pressure is forcing the E/lyte out of the reactor.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Ok, Here is a video that shows in several views what is going on during the first few seconds of switching the cell on. In this video the cell is cold for every view. This video is in HD so the quality will be very good as soon as youtube finishes processing the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKTM1QoUC7I
    Nice video. You are defenately losing at least half of the water in the cell at start up. This presents a real problem with both production and effeciency. Some gaps will have more water in them then other gaps causing imbalanced production.

There are several problems here.

1) Your resevoir water outlet should be at the minumum a little higher than the gas outlet of the cell. The higher the better.

2) you should have a water inlet on each side of the cell as well as a gas outlet on each side of the cell. Without that your individual gaps will always be unbalanced. I would hook the second gas outlet into the barp that you now use to let the gas out to the bubbler. Then I would make a new gas outlet from the resevoir to the bubbler that is higher than the other two.

3) A pump would solve your issue but I would avoid that at all costs. They are not needed with a properly designed cell.

4) a check valve in the line between the resevoir and the bubbler that takes 1 PSI to crack will slightly pressure the resevoir helping to keep the cell full of water.

Larry

Thankyou very much!
    I have been chasing this problem for a very long time now! About a month ago I was wondering why the cell wouldn't pull much amperage, now I know why! It shouldn't be too hard to drill 2 more holes in the endplates... Where can I buy a 1 PSI Check Valve? Lowes?