Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: At startup, pulls huge amps then quickly backs off...

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverRat View Post
    Thankyou very much!
    I have been chasing this problem for a very long time now! About a month ago I was wondering why the cell wouldn't pull much amperage, now I know why! It shouldn't be too hard to drill 2 more holes in the endplates... Where can I buy a 1 PSI Check Valve? Lowes?
    McMaster Carr online is the best place to find them.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

On Second thought, I don't think I actually need the check valve because when I have the torch running, that creates a little back pressure (Fine Bronze Wool)...

Oh, and should I raise the tube diameter to 5/16ths?

On Second thought, I don't think I actually need the check valve because when I have the torch running, that creates a little back pressure (Fine Bronze Wool)...

Oh, and should I raise the tube diameter to 5/16ths?
    I always use 3/8th tube on all my builds. Another thought is your gap size. I am not sure what it is. The tighter your gaps are the higher percentage of space the bubbles will take up. That always is a balancing act. A high percentage of gas to water disrupts good ion flow and too large a gap increases cell resistance. I an one of the few here that prefers a large gap. On a small device I use 1/8th as a minimum. Most of my builds use a 1/4" gap. I find that more effecient and have less trouble keeping the cell full. I offset the resistance of the larger gap with stronger mixes of KOH to water.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

You know, I am starting to think that my gap size is too small. I did everything you said about making another input and output fitting on the cell, and while it helped, I can still see the amp meter start at 35 amps and quickly retreat to about 24-25 amps. Right now I have 1/16th inch gaskets that compress to about half of that or 1/32 inch... That is way to small isn't it? That could be why the cell isn't staying full of water. What gaskets would you recommend with a full stregth solution of NaOh? 1/8, 1/4, and what material and where to get them (local would be nice)!
    Thanks

You know, I am starting to think that my gap size is too small. I did everything you said about making another input and output fitting on the cell, and while it helped, I can still see the amp meter start at 35 amps and quickly retreat to about 24-25 amps. Right now I have 1/16th inch gaskets that compress to about half of that or 1/32 inch... That is way to small isn't it? That could be why the cell isn't staying full of water. What gaskets would you recommend with a full stregth solution of NaOh? 1/8, 1/4, and what material and where to get them (local would be nice)!
    Thanks
    With a device your size 1/8th gap would be plenty. I would use Nitrile as the material. Neoprene works as well but Nitrile (Buena N) is better. Any local rubber outlet should sell it. Otherwise it should be easy to come by on the internet. If your gaps are really 1/32" that is WAY too small. The bubbles will take up most of the available space.

Larry

Thanks, I'm not too excited at cuting out 24 more gaskets though!

I am having a hard time finding a place that you can easily order nitrile rubber sheets (.125) without having to call in your order.

Is this stuff any good for gaskets?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31448-143-PP...957&Ntt=rubber sheet&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=rubber sheet

I am having a hard time finding a place that you can easily order nitrile rubber sheets (.125) without having to call in your order.

Is this stuff any good for gaskets?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31448-143-PP...957&Ntt=rubber sheet&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=rubber sheet
    That should work fine.

Larry

BeaverRat you might try to make the output fittings larger and route them up from the cell at 90 degrees,this will prevent the e lyte being expelled as much and allow the gas to flow easier.Smaller fittings and tubing tend to push fluid out due to the slight pressure generated by the cell.

just a thought

Thanks guys- quick question, what durometer of the nitrile rubber do I want? I am going to order a 12"x24" piece at 1/8th inch thick. Oh, and I have another video of the cell uploading.