Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: At startup, pulls huge amps then quickly backs off...

Ok, here is the latest video. I added 2 more ports on the cell to eliminate the back pressure problem forcing the electrolyte level down in the cell. Them amp problem is still here though, so I think the problem is due to the gaskets being far too thin... Tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekVZNX0AHE

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverRat View Post
    Ok, here is the latest video. I added 2 more ports on the cell to eliminate the back pressure problem forcing the electrolyte level down in the cell. Them amp problem is still here though, so I think the problem is due to the gaskets being far too thin... Tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekVZNX0AHE
    This is an official welcome to the world of HHO experimentation. There are always many more problems to solve than ways to solve them.

Your gaps are way too small. When you get this worked out your amps will never back down more than a couple after start up.

Right now your problem is simply too many bubbles in the space that your water should be in. Like I have said before. I am a fan of much wider gaps than most.

Bubbles are not conductive and disrupt ion flow.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Thankyou very much! So as you could see in the video I have 4 hose barbs on the cell. 2 separate HHO Gas outlets that have their own holes in the reservoir and then 2 inlets which share a common output hole from the reservoir. I assume it is OK to just have one outlet from the reservoir and then T it off to the two sides of the cell. BTW everything is 1/4 hose barbs. I have a ton of extra shower pan liner gaskets, so I am going to double those up per gap to achieve a gap of .080 (1/12.5) inches. Is that a big enough gap? If not I will order 1/8th inch Nitrile rubber and try that out (What durometer should I order, 60?)

Again, thankyou HHOPWR, you have helped me tremedously to actually understand a bit about these drycells!

Thankyou very much! So as you could see in the video I have 4 hose barbs on the cell. 2 separate HHO Gas outlets that have their own holes in the reservoir and then 2 inlets which share a common output hole from the reservoir. I assume it is OK to just have one outlet from the reservoir and then T it off to the two sides of the cell. BTW everything is 1/4 hose barbs. I have a ton of extra shower pan liner gaskets, so I am going to double those up per gap to achieve a gap of .080 (1/12.5) inches. Is that a big enough gap? If not I will order 1/8th inch Nitrile rubber and try that out (What durometer should I order, 60?)

Again, thankyou HHOPWR, you have helped me tremedously to actually understand a bit about these drycells!
    Showerpan liner is PVC. PVC especially thin stuff like shower pan liner softens very much even with just a little heat. Folks here have tried it over and over because it is inexpensive and readily available. It also seals very well. I hate to see you spend more money but shower pan liner will eventually soften and fail. Your cell will short out and leak. Then you will have a mucky mess. It will seem to work well for a while then leave you scratching your head and frustrated.

If it were me I would order 1/8th inch Nitrile and start over. 60 duro will work and is readily available. If available I would order something a little stiffer than 60 but it is not critical. Stiffer stuff will still seal but will help to maintain your gap. Maintaining your gap will give you a much higher ratio of water to gas in your cell. Most folks underestimate the importance of keeping good ion flow in the cell. Another advantage of wider gaps is that little imperfections in plate spacing will not cause such a huge imbalanced production problem. With very narrow gaps anything like even tightening one bolt more than another will cause plates to be closer on one corner than another. That causes that spot to draw an imbalanced amount of current. It lowers cell effeciency greatly.

There can be HUGE differences between identical cells in effeciency just due to little things that careful assembly can cure. Think about it. 1/2 an MMW is a 10% loss or gain in effeciency. In the real world 10% is HUGE.

Larry

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Ok, I am going to order some neoprene rubber from mcmaster-carr (Do they have low prices?) Could you tell me if this is the stuff I want before I go ahead and order it? It calls it neoprene spring rubber, I was just wondering if that is somehow not the right stuff...

Ok, I am going to order some neoprene rubber from mcmaster-carr (Do they have low prices?) Could you tell me if this is the stuff I want before I go ahead and order it? It calls it neoprene spring rubber, I was just wondering if that is somehow not the right stuff...

Should work. The price seems good as well.

Larry

Thanks... I actually ended up ordering this stuff (had a very very good price!)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9455k894/=64h9tc

I got three of them for a total of 12x72 inches

Ok, today I installed my new 1/8th inch gaskets in my cell. The good news is that it is much better, the bad news is that I think the problem still may be present. I recorded a video of several views at startup again and it will be on youtube within the hour.

EDIT- here is is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o99NHVg0uA

Ok, today I installed my new 1/8th inch gaskets in my cell. The good news is that it is much better, the bad news is that I think the problem still may be present. I recorded a video of several views at startup again and it will be on youtube within the hour.

EDIT- here is is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o99NHVg0uA
    Looking MUCH better. That is about as good as you are going to get that cell. The bubbles that are always being made in the cell always take up space. That space is non conductive and will impede ion flow. Like I have said before. Increasing the gap is the only way to lessen that effect. Your 1/8th gap is plenty wide for a cell that size. I do run 1/4" gaps but my cell is much larger than yours. As your cell warms up the amp draw will increase to more than your initial 30 amps. As you continue playing with it you will be looking for a way to lower amp draw to keep your cell from overheating. I would not run any more amp draw than your 30. That may end up being too much. Do some long runs of 4 or 5 hours non stop. Carefully monitor the cell temp. It should never exceed 140 degrees as constructed.

Larry

Ok, thanks.
    Before with the 1/20th or so gaps the cell would start at 34 amps and drop to 19 amps. Now with the 1/8th inch gaps the cell starts at 30 and drops to about 26 or 27. I suppose that is quite a bit better. Quick question: why does the electrolyte appear to be pumping or pulsing in the cell output line? The gas flow speeds up, then slows down, then speeds up...