Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do alternators handle HHO?

Heat

I think the problem here is how much heat can the alternator take before one component gives in. And you only need one, believe me.
    With enough rpm, the alternator can only give you as much as 100% depending on it's condition, on demand, if and when needed.

You can draw 100% of it's maximum rating and still get the charge but more current you draw the more heat is produced stressing out the diodes, regulator, alternator winding and the bearings. Bearings have a different story.

The fans if front of the alternator might not be enough to cool down specific components. The alternator isn't stressed (bearings not accounted for) in idle since it's really producing a lot less current by turning at a slower pace, you only drain the battery.

I think if somehow you can dissipate the extra heat (fins, heat sinks, water spray or whatever), you can draw out maximum current for a longer period of time.

But here's the catch, I don't care how efficient your cooling method is, the more current you draw, (not only produce extra heat as mentioned above) the more stress you bearings will have to take.

You see, alternators tend to resist the turning power of the engine when charging and resist even more when the load get higher, friction takes place inside the bearings. More friction, more heat, more heat....well, you get the idea right?

Heat from the bearing isn't something you can easily dissipate.
    Unless you can modify the bearings which might not justify the cost.

Talking

just upgrade your alternator like i did. now my alternator can handle 200amps easy http://www.alternatorparts.com/