Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do alternators handle HHO?

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROTEKPRO View Post
    So let's say for example, a car has a 100 amp alternator stock. What amperage HHO system would be the max, that you'd put in that car, knowing that the 100 amp alternator could comfortably handle the load without reducing the lifespan of that alternator or it's associated electrical components??
    I have to say that this question has bugged me for a while too, I want to know how much amperage I can use from my pickup or HHO generation *WITHOUT* a) causing undue component wear in my electrical system or b) stopping the battery charging.

I have a sunpro ammeter and I'm thinking of connecting it up to see, over a period of time, how many amps my complete truck is drawing. Coming home from work at night with the full beams on and my stereo running as loud as I like it seems to me to be the best test. With this info, I'm thinking I can then find out the max output of my alternator and do some simple math:

HHO-amps = Alternator-max - Max-draw

With a safety threshold of, say, 10%.

Am I on the right track here? I've already bought a jump start box to carry around when I first install my system, just in case!
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

Question

Yeah, this exact question answered honestly and accurately will be a big help to alot of people.

It looks like Jaxom is an expert, and could find this out for everybody!

Hope the safe amp margin is a large % of the alternator amp rating, otherwise the aftermarket, high-output alternator companies will be doing really good business for the next few years!

Here's just one company that is supposed to make really good, aftermarket, high-output alternators:
    http://www.mean-green.com/

timetowinarace Guest
    I suppose anyone worried about the amp draw and their alternator could install the ammeter as Painless has suggested. I use mine to monitor the amp draw of the cell. For a few bucks you can know excactly how many amps your whole auto electrical system is drawing at any time.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

Question

You're right, an ammeter is what you use to measure amps. And it's a perfect tool to help perfect an HHO system.

But it doesn't answer the question. What is the safe margin of Ampere draw for an HHO system, vs. the amperage rating of a typical car alternator?

Some cars have 50 amp alternators, some have 120 amp alternators. Therefore, there has to be an approximate percentage of the amperage rating of any given car's alternator. This %, when multiplied by the amperage rating of a car's alternator, would be the ideal maximum amperage draw of an HHO system, for THAT car.

With this found out (Jaxom, where are you?), a person can calculate the appropriate maximum amperage draw for an HHO system, for their own car!

mario brito Guest
    You're right, an ammeter is what you use to measure amps. And it's a perfect tool to help perfect an HHO system.

But it doesn't answer the question. What is the safe margin of Ampere draw for an HHO system, vs. the amperage rating of a typical car alternator?

Some cars have 50 amp alternators, some have 120 amp alternators. Therefore, there has to be an approximate percentage of the amperage rating of any given car's alternator. This %, when multiplied by the amperage rating of a car's alternator, would be the ideal maximum amperage draw of an HHO system, for THAT car.

With this found out (Jaxom, where are you?), a person can calculate the appropriate maximum amperage draw for an HHO system, for their own car!
    the hard way : keep pushing further untill you burn it. then try again with 25% less.

the easy way : see what's the alternator Amps rating and use only 75%.

experience tells me that any normal mechanic or electric system can be safely used up to 75%

thanks

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    LOL!

So a car with a 100 amp alternator, make your HHO system to draw 75 amps? Seems a little too high. But I'd LOVE to be wrong about this one!

I'm guessing somewhere between 20% to 50% of the amp rating of a car's alternator. But it's still only a guess. It'd really be nice to know for sure.

Anybody?

mario brito Guest
    LOL!

So a car with a 100 amp alternator, make your HHO system to draw 75 amps? Seems a little too high. But I'd LOVE to be wrong about this one!

I'm guessing somewhere between 20% to 50% of the amp rating of a car's alternator. But it's still only a guess. It'd really be nice to know for sure.

Anybody?
    no i said that the alternator could most probably handle 75% of its max without burning. and in those 75% you need to include every other component that needs electric power. the 25% margin is a safe value that i use in alot of things. let's just say that it is my "safe" magic percentage

i know that i still not answered your question, but i think you answered yourself. either you believe the max rating from the manufacturer or play safe. i prefer to play safe

thanks

HomeGrown Guest
    There's a guy on waterforfuel.com who is rewinding alternators specifically for HHO production, and I think they're designed to be secondary alternators, used exclusively for the cell. He's one of the guys who's building a system to run his truck on water only. He's working with older alternators that have no internal regulator. I looked on my old Camry, and it appears that I actually have enough room to install an additional alternator. Too bad I don't yet have a cell that's worthy of a second alternator.

timetowinarace Guest

Use the automotive ammeter to measure the whole electrical system for the auto. That is what it's made for. So it does answer the question. If your alternator is rated for 100amps don't go over that. Go to 75 as suggested.

I think a cab mounted voltmeter for your battery would be a good safety precaution too, you will see a drop in voltage if battery charge begins to suffer.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO