Thread: Newbie

Hi
    Just discoverd this forum, WOW...

Big fan of LPG (Propane) conversions (performed several) and have been investigating the E85 option.. Done several and been running one for nearly 10 years that I converted..
    But I am very lucky in that I run older vehicles with carbs.. (although my 99 legacy doesnt)
    I dont quite get the dry/wet cell thing...

Here are my thoughts on a system..
    I will build a tubular unit as I have access to 316L SS tube via a good friend, I cant seem to find much ref to the efficiency of this type over a plate type.. It will have a resevoir to maintain feed. I have a low powered (78bhp) 2L engine so I dont need a huge volume of HHO to see results (bigger system and better controls will come later, as will a better engine..)

Would consider buying a system if there are reputable ones out there, as thats a little easier way to get me started..

I want to limit the current to around 20 amps, in the hope I can maintain the temperature for long drives and also to keep the costs down of control gear/wiring (potential to go wrong!!) etc..

What I also dont quite get, is that its been said that the HHO should be connected to the inlet manifold between engine and carb.. surely if I do this my idle speed will go up a lot when the HHO unit is running, but on petrol (gas) with no HHO it will not run.. so to control that, I would need to install a solenoid valve to close at idle (fit a thottle switch)

Depending on how hot the system runs, I will install a cooling system, either recirculation of electrolyte or external cell cooling loop..

I hope to get making and start saving soon.. and hopefully contributing..

Hi, Cheers
    Now I ought to have said (and fill out my profile) I am in the UK and as my "truck", VW transporter Syncro doublecab (Vanagon in the USA) it is pre 1993 (when tighter emmissions regs came in) it doesnt have or require cats or lambda.. so no ECU to worry about.. it runs a twin venturi carb.. (maybe when I get the bigger engine built it will get Fi/throttle bodies etc etc..)

What I need to do is improve the running costs..
    I have an LPG kit I will be refitting (dont ask.. suffice it to say I had to remove the working system as I was resident in France at the time..), but I still think there will be gains by using the HHO.. even if it was only used when out of LPG...

I can also add HHO to the Subaru.. (I also have another "vanagon" which would get it..)