Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp Meter Issue

Quote Originally Posted by fastcompacts View Post
    Hi all. I am having a problem try to measure the amps to my cell. I have to different amp meters. One is wired into teh car which i wanted to use on a permant basis. It is 100Amp DC meter. when i hook it up to the cell (using the shunt) it will max out the meter almost instantly. And yes i do have a PWM and no matter what setting i have it on i run into this issue with the amp meter.( and yes the PWM is functioning properly). The other Amp meter i have is a craftsman mutli meter with the capabilities of reading up to 20 amp both AC and DC, but again when i hook it up to the cell i can hear the PWM straining and the meter almost instantly maxes out. Any info to help me out would be greatly appriciated. If you need any more info to help diagnose my problem please ask. And THANKS in advance.
    ok here goes. i aint no mentor, but fair electrician.

USING THE 100 AMP METER WITH 100AMP SHUNT .

one,the shunt can be any where in series with the circuit that is feeding power to cell.

two, THE 100amp METER WILL HAVE TWO SMALL LEADS THAT ARE CONNECTED ACROSS THE SHUNT, negative on shunt to negative of meter; positive on shunt to positive on meter.

meter maximum scale should be 100 amps, if matched to shunt.

NOW, turn pwm to zero power output setting.

turn on power to cell. meter should read zero.

turn on power to cell.

as you increase output setting on pwm,

your ammeter reading should increase, accordingly.

It still sounds like you have the shunt in parallel with your PWM or battery. You DO understand the difference between parallel and series, right?(some people don't which is pretty common)

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    It still sounds like you have the shunt in parallel with your PWM or battery. You DO understand the difference between parallel and series, right?(some people don't which is pretty common)
    Honestly phill i dont know the difference, im new the whole electrical thing and i know some of you out there on this forum have a solid understanding of electrical workings, thats why i have turned to you guys, like i said before i really appriciate all the help but i am still a little lost. If someone could make me a diagram of how i should have my meter wired up i would be very grateful. Thanks again guys.