Thread: power question

power question

i build my dry cell i use car battery 12v my cell pull 18 amp,After i bought a power supply and my friend modified for me a little now for some reason i run my cell at 24v and cell pull 32 Amps how come? i thought more V then less Amps will cell pull.

The more voltage per plate gap the more amps the cell will pull. When you increased your voltage to 24, you increased the voltage per gap. Don't run your cell on 24 volts unless you have enough neutrals to still give a voltage per gap of about 2.3. Anymore and your cell will be a steam machine, not an HHO machine. Go back to 12 volts and add more electrolyte or decrease your spacing to 1/16th.

how you guys measure voltage per gap? - on the plate or + on the plate?

Put one probe on one plate and the other on the plate right next to it.

how many times do i need to post ohm's law!!!

i=V/R

i=Amps, V= volts, R= resistance in ohms

if you double the voltage you will double the current (amps), assuming the resistance of the cell stays the same (which it will not, as more bubbles reduces flow).

Also any voltage over 1.23V will cause heat loss, the higher the voltage, the more energy you will put into making steam.
    (this said, a 1.23V gap will not do anything as the plates have resistance, 1.6V-1.8V is a better target)
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_ View Post
    how many times do i need to post ohm's law!!!

i=V/R

i=Amps, V= volts, R= resistance in ohms

if you double the voltage you will double the current (amps), assuming the resistance of the cell stays the same (which it will not, as more bubbles reduces flow).

Also any voltage over 1.23V will cause heat loss, the higher the voltage, the more energy you will put into making steam.
    (this said, a 1.23V gap will not do anything as the plates have resistance, 1.6V-1.8V is a better target)
    Several times a week! People don't seem to get it that if you increase voltage, amperage will also increase as will heat.

Well, guys....forgive me for sounding a bit bold on one of my first few posts here. I am no stranger to forums, I am a mod on one. I know that I shoud do a search before asking a question, or at least try to IF I know what I'm asking. You must admit that this is a relatively obscure "hobby" if you will. The other board I mod at is as well (RC Helicopters). There's a lot of lingo I find myself using on that board that the typical beginner would not have any way of knowing. I try to be sensitive to this and may even over-explain something with the intent of leaving nothing to chance. I have explained several aspects of the hobby many, many times on that forum (over 2500 posts). It's because it's what forums are for. Experts like you in HHO, and myself in helicopters spend time on discussion boards in order to help newcomers get a good start and get GOOD information. As we all know, there's a lot of bad info out there.

I've been browsing these forums with a passion lately. There are TONS of abbreviations and lingo references that I am struggling to figure out as of yet. I have been slowly tackling them as they come up in answers to my posts (as Beaver Rat probably noticed), as well as doing internet searches so as not to look dumb on here. What we all have to remember is that the title of this forum is what it's all about. Bringing HHO to common folk, to paraphrase. I am a "common folk" and I cannot thank all of you enough for literally volunteering your free time to help others get to your level on this board. What we've all got to remember is not everyone knows to do a search, yes I've seen this formula somewhere on here, but for the life of me I couldn't search and find it again.

I certainly hope I have not offended either of you or anyone else for that matter. The help I've gotten on here so far has brought me to the point I am ready to make my first cell. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once hydrogen starts flowing from it (or if it doesn't). I'm just trying to give a beginner's perspective.

Thank you all again for your time on here. Us common folk couldn't do it without you!
    Thanks again,
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by N11634 View Post
    Well, guys....forgive me for sounding a bit bold on one of my first few posts here. I am no stranger to forums, I am a mod on one. I know that I shoud do a search before asking a question, or at least try to IF I know what I'm asking. You must admit that this is a relatively obscure "hobby" if you will. The other board I mod at is as well (RC Helicopters). There's a lot of lingo I find myself using on that board that the typical beginner would not have any way of knowing. I try to be sensitive to this and may even over-explain something with the intent of leaving nothing to chance. I have explained several aspects of the hobby many, many times on that forum (over 2500 posts). It's because it's what forums are for. Experts like you in HHO, and myself in helicopters spend time on discussion boards in order to help newcomers get a good start and get GOOD information. As we all know, there's a lot of bad info out there.

I've been browsing these forums with a passion lately. There are TONS of abbreviations and lingo references that I am struggling to figure out as of yet. I have been slowly tackling them as they come up in answers to my posts (as Beaver Rat probably noticed), as well as doing internet searches so as not to look dumb on here. What we all have to remember is that the title of this forum is what it's all about. Bringing HHO to common folk, to paraphrase. I am a "common folk" and I cannot thank all of you enough for literally volunteering your free time to help others get to your level on this board. What we've all got to remember is not everyone knows to do a search, yes I've seen this formula somewhere on here, but for the life of me I couldn't search and find it again.

I certainly hope I have not offended either of you or anyone else for that matter. The help I've gotten on here so far has brought me to the point I am ready to make my first cell. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once hydrogen starts flowing from it (or if it doesn't). I'm just trying to give a beginner's perspective.

Thank you all again for your time on here. Us common folk couldn't do it without you!
    Thanks again,
    Troy
    I agree 100%... I knew absolutely nothing about HHO 2 months ago. It's only because of this forum and me asking stupid questions that I was able to gain the knowlage (limited still!) that I have now. Everyone starts somewhere...

N11634- What a coincidence, I too fly rc heli's and build HHO cells!

Wow! Maybe we've run into each other on a forum! I go by this username on most, but also go by tdswan on a couple. I frequent RunRyder and RCH Magazine the most, occasionally HeliFreak.