Thread: power supply overload

power supply overload

i was wonder what will happened if: my dry cell pull 18amp at 12v and i will connect to power supply which has only 10amps at 12v i will burn the power supply?

General rule of thumb: Don't connect power supplies together in parallel. It's just bad. You asked a similiar question about this, and I think I said that one power supply will be slightly different voltage than the other, and will cause massive currents to flow between them. Don't do it.

EDIT: Wow, sorry. I'm low on sleep, and I totally read that wrong... BeaverRat is right. The PSU should just shut off, but if it doesn't, there SHOULD be some kind of fuse protection in it, so the worst that would happen is that you would need to replace the fuse. If you're worried about the current draw, you can always put a fuse in series with your cell.

I think he is asking what will happen if his cell pulls more amps at 12 volts than the power supply can handle. It depends on the power supply: some will burn up, some will shut off. If it is a new ATX PSU it will just shutoff. It won't break anything. To reset it disconnect from the outlet, wait 5 seconds than plug it back in.

ok thank you beaver i am getting that silverstone op 650 54A i think that's the best choice.When i will get it i will just need your help with wiring.

Ok, you can pm me