Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry cell leakage

dry cell leakage

how you guys are fixing dry cell leaking problem between last outer gaskets and outside main plexi boards. Sanding or use a sealant ?

Here's an old trick that works:
    Make sure the reactor is totally dry (inside the cells) and place it
    in a freezer overnight. While it's icy-cold, re-torque the bolts. As everything expands as it warms up, the gaskets should seal nicely.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

The only time I have had a dry cell leak is when I tear it down, rinse it off and put it back together while the plates and gaskets are still wet. If I dry everything off first it never leaks when re-assembled. I use EBN dry cells and the end plates are smooth so leaking at the end plate is not an issue either.

my problem is that i use cutting board as the plexi and the boards are not perfectly smooth they have those little imperfection thru the whole surface i was thinking about maybe sanding or something but i wasn't sure and i can't tide the bolt more because my board is bending.

ok thank you

An even better solution than using any type of glue is to get low durometer gaskets that can seal with the bumps on the endplates. I used the 6x6x1/8th inch plumber pack from lowes for a low durometer rubber gasket and it sealed perfectly for me. I am also using cutting boards for endplates with bumps.

I thought about using a cutting board for my end. during tests I had the leakage issue, then i got some acrylic from lowe's, but its only 1/8" thick and it flexes too much so with 8 bolts around a 4x5" it would leak.
    (used the PVC gasket stuff)

I was unable to find any type of gasket that would seal on a cutting board.
    Nor find any acrylic that was thick enough, maybe plexy glass from hobby lobby is my next stop.

Just use the 6x6x1/8th inch plumba pack from lowes. It seals perfectly on bumby cutting board faces.

how much is it a lowes? because what i am getting is red rubber gasket material 1/8 thick from ACE Hardware but is $5.60 per square foot which gives me 4 pieces 6x6

Lowes is 1.20 for a 6x6 sheet, so 4.8 for a square foot. You only save 80 cents with lowes, do whatever is easier for you...