Thread: extra plates

extra plates

i have extra 9 plates i want to build smaller dry cell and i was wonder which setup will be better +nnn-nnn+ or +nnnnnnn- which one you think will pull more amps and which one will have bigger production?

Using the same power supply voltage, the one with 3 N will pull way more amps, but in reality it would be a terrible dry cell at 12 or 13.8 volts. It would get way to hot and produce too much steam. Your other one will pull nothing with 12 or 13.8 volts. Your best shot with 9 extra plates is to build a +NNNNN- (7 plates) with a 13.8 volt PSU and -NNNN+ (5 plates) with a 12 volt PSU. You will have some wasted plates, but any other combo won't work well.

sounds like it's better to buy extra plates and build something bigger to have decent production.

Yep... or just buy the right amount of plates the first time

I agree that the +nnn-nnn+ be not so great at 12-14V. But the other option or +nnnnnnn- would have a voltage of 1.75 per gap at 14V. If your running at 12V, that would be 1.5V per gap.

Assuming your using a car to power this cell, i would suggest using 8 of the nine(+nnnnnn-).
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)