Thread: koh vs epsom salt

koh vs epsom salt

i did a new testing Koh vs epsom salt and i was surprise that there was no different in production the only different was that koh mixture pull more amps how come?

I don't know jack about Chem. but i suspect the epsom salt is splinting, and releasing other gasses.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate, or MgSO4. Like Owen, I'm not a chemist, but I'll bet money that you are getting some kind of reaction going with the Sulfate ions... If that's the case, then you'll be using up your electrolyte which isn't good...

Are you just going for cheap and convenient? Cause you can get Drain Cleaner from Wally world 7 bucks for 2 liters of KOH and sodium Hydroxide mix

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    i did a new testing Koh vs epsom salt and i was surprise that there was no different in production the only different was that koh mixture pull more amps how come?
    Ive never heard of anyone trying Magnesium sulfate for an electrolyte. It may be worth looking into more.

Are you get any more heat during electrolysis? compared to KOH?
    Could you have possibly mixed the Magnesium sulfate solution in with some leftover KOH solution?
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

my chemist teacher told me that using KOH i more expensive then Epsom salt and KOH is more dangerous if gets into the eye.

temp i think is the same because i run both for 20 min i check with my hand and they sims to be the same the only different was the amp pull. i did balloon test on both they both go up same speed.

ROLAND even if i mix it a little i did epsom test first so i dont think that will change reading that much for koh

Ask your chemist teacher if MgSO4 will cause any peripheral reactions under electrolysis, other than decomposition of water. If so, I imagine that is where your extra gas is coming from - the salts are breaking down.

Also, do you smell any sulfur? Any yellowish deposits around anywhere after prolonged use?

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    my chemist teacher told me that using KOH i more expensive then Epsom salt and KOH is more dangerous if gets into the eye.

temp i think is the same because i run both for 20 min i check with my hand and they sims to be the same the only different was the amp pull. i did balloon test on both they both go up same speed.

ROLAND even if i mix it a little i did epsom test first so i dont think that will change reading that much for koh

How much amp draw differance are you talking?

I would think that it would be very important that the system be flushed very good between tests. Residual KOH Or Epsom salt could mess up results a lot. One being acidic and the other alkaline ...
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

I used epsom salts a couple months ago when my generator was 2 carbon rods in a bucket! The only thing I noticed about these epsom salts was that it left a white flaky coating on the electrodes after it dried. It worked pretty well...

7amp different
    i didn't smell any sulfur i am trying keep vapor away from my face