Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your help with hydrogen producation

Need your help with hydrogen producation

Hi guys,

I am a new member on this forum. As I am going to post this, because I have heard about hydrogen through from a friend, so I would like to try this out. Firstly, I am bit concered with my safety. I have already known that there would be some hazards methods when working on hydrogen producation, something would be like chemicals acid, glass jar flashback, electricity current flow (1 amp and it will kill you), hydrogen gas....etc. I am not going to trust glass jar, because it will break quite easily due to flashback. I would only use them if I get told that if the water would not get too hot when boiling to make hydrogen and if it would not affect the glass jar.

However, what type of jar or plastic container do you guys recommend for me to use for my own safety?? If any of you know which one is the most safety way to use, then please could you direct me with the link??

Anyone with useful post would be much appreciate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris0147 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am a new member on this forum. As I am going to post this, because I have heard about hydrogen through from a friend, so I would like to try this out. Firstly, I am bit concered with my safety. I have already known that there would be some hazards methods when working on hydrogen producation, something would be like chemicals acid, glass jar flashback, electricity current flow (1 amp and it will kill you), hydrogen gas....etc. I am not going to trust glass jar, because it will break quite easily due to flashback. I would only use them if I get told that if the water would not get too hot when boiling to make hydrogen and if it would not affect the glass jar.

However, what type of jar or plastic container do you guys recommend for me to use for my own safety?? If any of you know which one is the most safety way to use, then please could you direct me with the link??

Anyone with useful post would be much appreciate

Thanks
    Chris,
    First of all welcome to the forum. I would say stay away from the jar type (wet Cell) they are bulky,cumbersome and a P.I.T.A. I suggest you build or buy a drycell. In short it's stainless steel plates sandwiched between plexiglass.

Make a bubbler, some sort of flashback protection, use KOH as an electrolyte, depending on the car you are installing it into you may need electronics enhancers for computer controlled emission cars. You man want a PWM to regulate your amperage draw.
    Go through the forum & read up, ask questions and be careful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Thanks for your response. I am going to stay away from jar, I knew that they are not safe to use so. However, I don't like the idea to use drycell, I want to use electrolysis inside the bottle due to the car space. How about if I should use spice jar, acrylic round canister (not glass one), craft containers, tupperware rounded (same material as a baby bottle) or strainless steel jar with windows??

Please let me know if one or any of them are safe to use so.

I can't wait to start and buying the parts to producation the hydrogen!

Thanks for your response. I am going to stay away from jar, I knew that they are not safe to use so. However, I don't like the idea to use drycell, I want to use electrolysis inside the bottle due to the car space. How about if I should use spice jar, acrylic round canister (not glass one), craft containers, tupperware rounded (same material as a baby bottle) or stainless steel jar with windows??

Please let me know if one or any of them are safe to use so.

I can't wait to start and buying the parts to production the hydrogen!
    Chris, the drycell is far superior to the bath setup, and it really doesn't take much room. I have built some as small as 4"x4" with 2 lpm production.

But that said, if you must use a wetcell I would stay away from glass. Glass & HHO is a great formula for disaster. Personally I would us Schedule 40 PVC pipe with a PVC sewer cap top. To view it 2 barbed fittings with clear tubing between it. You will also need a bubbler and flashback protection
    Something like this:

Another option but more expensive, would be to use a water filter casing.

Hope this helps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Thanks for this, so do you think will the coffee glass jar would break or crack when the electrolysis will cause the water to heat up??

I hope not, if it does then I would have to use a different container that would not break or crack rather than glass jar. I have tested the coffee jar, I have poured the hot water using with the kitchen kettle and it doesn't break or crack. So I might be safe to use it or not??

However, I have gave you a list of container through on PM. If you know which container would be the best to use, then please let me know.

I hope that one of them would be good to use and make hydrogen, otherwise I would stick with water filter housing. They sound good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    GLASS BOMB...... Do not use glass! If you have a flashback it will be a BOMB! It has nothing to do with the heat generated, it has to do with the any explosions.
    Yeah, I have already know that. What about other container if it safe to use for hydrogen producation as long as the container is hard and strong??

Something would be like:
    spice jar
    acrylic round canister (not glass one)
    craft containers
    tupperware rounded (same material as a baby bottle)
    stainless steel jar

Which one of them would be good to use ?

Yeah, I have already know that. What about other container if it safe to use for hydrogen producation as long as the container is hard and strong??

Something would be like:
    spice jar
    acrylic round canister (not glass one)
    craft containers
    tupperware rounded (same material as a baby bottle)
    stainless steel jar

Which one of them would be good to use ?
    Chris, Please do not get frustrated with us. Most of us started with some kind of wet cell. Many of us used glass jars. A wet cell (especially in glass) is cool to watch. It is especially rewarding at first to be able to watch the reaction happening.

What we all have found is that while a wet cell is easy to make it is way too ineffecient to be useful. You will use over twice the electricity to make the same amount of gas as with a dry cell.

Contrary to your beleif a dry cell that will make 1 LPM is smaller than a wet cell that will make the same amount of gas. It will take half as much power in the process. It is also flat and easier to mount under your hood.

If you still want to make a wet cell then use CPVC pipe. ABS or PVC will work but wet cells run very hot and CPVC will handle the heat better. You should be able to find the parts at a local hardware store cheaper than using an off the shelf container. Use materials that will handle heat better because others will fail and your cell will have a very short life before it starts leaking.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

He larry

Thanks for your response. I have sent you an PM, so I hope that you will be able to help me out. I don't really trust glass jar, which it will cause flashback and it will break! How about if I should use something like a strong plastic jar, stainless steel jar with windows, water filter housing or tupperware plastic??

I need to know which one of them are good for me to use for a trial test and then use it in my car. I am NOT sure which one of them are good and strong enough, so that is why i am here and askin for your help.

I hope you understand this!

Hey chris- first off, don't go overly cheap with this... Trust the other guys with this and build a drycell. For these HHO Cells, efficiency is key to success. Why would you not build something that is tried and true, plus way more efficent at practically the same cost? Just forget the wet cell, they are not good!

I know you are asking if you should use something like a strong plastic jar, stainless steel jar with windows, water filter housing or tupperware plastic, but in reality people are saying don't use any of those... Build a drycell, you will not regret it at all.

If you insist on making a wet cell (DON'T) than none of those containers will work great. Do what others have said and buy a pvc container. You have to remmember that the material has to be thick enough to tap in hose connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Chris, the drycell is far superior to the bath setup, and it really doesn't take much room. I have built some as small as 4"x4" with 2 lpm production.

But that said, if you must use a wetcell I would stay away from glass. Glass & HHO is a great formula for disaster. Personally I would us Schedule 40 PVC pipe with a PVC sewer cap top. To view it 2 barbed fittings with clear tubing between it. You will also need a bubbler and flashback protection
    Something like this:

Another option but more expensive, would be to use a water filter casing.

Hope this helps
    WOW... Andy, Is that your "BED" you have that Reactor sitting on???
    You mean you take your Reactor..... NEVER MIND....
    TO MUCH INFO....
    96 E-250 4.9L, 100,000 Miles.
    12.5 MPG Befor HHO
    16.5 (Best) after HHO.
    Modified Smack Gen I Cell.

85 BMW 524TD
    26-32MPH
    HHO Coming soon

A TOOL Is only as GOOD as it's operator. If the Operator DON'T KNOW How to work it, The TOOL WON'T WORK