Thread: Cutting nitrile

Cutting nitrile

I am trying to sort out some gasket material for a cell and am thinking about using 3mm nitrile sheet. Could someone please let me know the best way to cut this.

I was thinking of using a wide sharp blade - something like a hand planer blade and hitting with a hammer to punch through. Never having seen the material I was wondering if there would be too much bounce back and not enough to penetrate the material.

Thanks
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by dg2010 View Post
    I am trying to sort out some gasket material for a cell and am thinking about using 3mm nitrile sheet. Could someone please let me know the best way to cut this.

I was thinking of using a wide sharp blade - something like a hand planer blade and hitting with a hammer to punch through. Never having seen the material I was wondering if there would be too much bounce back and not enough to penetrate the material.

Thanks
    A box cutter knife works great.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    A box cutter knife works great.

Larry
    Thanks - think that is what we call a Stanley knife here in the UK.

I did consider that but thought there would be too much drag on the knife - anyway good to know it works.
    Regards

David

Hi David,
    This is also my next immediate issue, so will post if I figure out a better way than a Stanley knife (like we call them in New Zealand as well). I was thinking of something like a jigsaw, but also think that it could be pretty messy, and the drag on the blade might be a bit excessive for the saw. Holding it so that it can be cut this way is another issue. Bring on the easy solution to this problem!...
    Anyone...?

Cheers,
    Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Drafty-01 View Post
    Hi David,
    This is also my next immediate issue, so will post if I figure out a better way than a Stanley knife (like we call them in New Zealand as well). I was thinking of something like a jigsaw, but also think that it could be pretty messy, and the drag on the blade might be a bit excessive for the saw. Holding it so that it can be cut this way is another issue. Bring on the easy solution to this problem!...
    Anyone...?

Cheers,
    Martin.
    Hi Martin

Having just got my 3mm nitrile sheet I can confirm that cutting with a stanley knife is no problem. Put in a new blade and the "jobs a good un".
    Regards

David

Hi David,

That's really encouraging. Can't wait to get my nitrile out and start cutting now...

Thanks,
    Martin.