Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many watts/sq inch?

How many watts/sq inch?

I am planning a new cell that can handle 50 amps at 12 volts (not 13.8). What power density is good so the cell will not deteriorate?

If I build it with 6x6 plates (reactive area of 5.5x5.5) than if it is configured as

-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-

I could run it at 50 amps with a power density of .5 watts per square inch. Is .5 a good power density? If not, what is?

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverRat View Post
    I am planning a new cell that can handle 50 amps at 12 volts (not 13.8). What power density is good so the cell will not deteriorate?

If I build it with 6x6 plates (reactive area of 5.5x5.5) than if it is configured as

-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-

I could run it at 50 amps with a power density of .5 watts per square inch. Is .5 a good power density? If not, what is?
    With Stainless a good rule of thumb is no more than 1 watt per 4 sq inches of reactive surface area. That will allow a cool running cell with good plate life. Nickel or nano coated plates will allow much more but at a higher build cost.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Dang... So I would need 2400 inches squared of surface area to run it at 50 amps 12 volts? Thats a lot of plates... WHat would happen if I did run it at .5 watts per inch rather than .25 like you recommend?

I think that nothing will happen. Your cell will run just fine. Your plates might start to show signs of wear a bit sooner, but overall they won't disintegrate overnight.

Another thing is that it will have a short duty cycle. The longest time it will run is about an hour because it will not be going in the car right away...

Dang... So I would need 2400 inches squared of surface area to run it at 50 amps 12 volts? Thats a lot of plates... WHat would happen if I did run it at .5 watts per inch rather than .25 like you recommend?
    With extended runs your cell will get too hot and your water will turn yellow as your plates degrade. You need to trust me on this one. I was running 51 6X8" 316L plates to pull 65 amps at 13 5 volts. That was 48 gaps the way I had it set up. Each gap had 70 sq inches of reactive surface area. That was 3360 sq inches of reactive surface area total to run 877.5 watts. That was just over .2 watts per sq inch. The cell ran at around 100 degrees if it was left to run non stop. If I pushed it to over .25 watts per inch the heat would run away eventually and the cell would have to be shut down.

The hardest thing for everyone to accept is that there is just no way to get lots and lots of gas out of a small device with stainless. Like I said. I have found many ways to acheive the result you are looking for but they all cost way more money than just building the cell the proper size to acheive the results you are looking for.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Ok... so if I limit the duty cycle to 1 hour or less, would .5 watts per square inch be allright?

I will be running 12 volts 50 amps, so 600 watts.

Oh, and is this 316L or just 316?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=325&top_cat=1

Ok... so if I limit the duty cycle to 1 hour or less, would .5 watts per square inch be allright?

I will be running 12 volts 50 amps, so 600 watts.

Oh, and is this 316L or just 316?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=325&top_cat=1
    One more time. You should never run more amps through your cell than the design can handle. The same things that make your cell heat up and leach minerals into your water happen from minute one. I know it costs more but feel lucky that you can learn from people who have already make the mistakes. Over amping your cell will eventually ruin it. Start with a design that can handle the current load you want to use.

Larry

Ok, thanks... I guess I will just have to build it the right way!

Anyway, is that online metals the best place to get 316L sheets? Is that stuff I linked in my previous post even 316L because it is labled as "316/316L". What is that supposed to mean?

I am looking for as cheap as possible for 316L 20 gauge...

Larry, have you ever tracked "Total Gas Production vs. Cell Life"? I assume what you are saying is that the relationship is non-linear. Probably something along the lines of e^-x type function, based on the reactivity at higher temperatures? Otherwise, you would always get the same total amount of HHO out of a cell, regardless of the current through it...