Thread: Anybody have any insight on this outfit?

Anybody have any insight on this outfit?

http://www.alternativempg.com/

I've been back and forth via email with this outfit for about a week now. I've been asking a lot of questions, and so far he has answered everything to my satisfaction. Their basic kit seems like a pretty good deal, but the one thing that keeps bugging me is a cooler made of copper/aluminum....in my experience Potassium Hydroxide will quickly eat aluminum....but I've never exposed copper to it.. Just not sure about that part, and would like your input.

Otherwise, has anyone had any experience with this unit? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks folks!
    Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
    www.caffreyknives.net

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    http://www.alternativempg.com/

I've been back and forth via email with this outfit for about a week now. I've been asking a lot of questions, and so far he has answered everything to my satisfaction. Their basic kit seems like a pretty good deal, but the one thing that keeps bugging me is a cooler made of copper/aluminum....in my experience Potassium Hydroxide will quickly eat aluminum....but I've never exposed copper to it.. Just not sure about that part, and would like your input.

Otherwise, has anyone had any experience with this unit? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks folks!
    This company does have a slick ( and irritating ping ) site and with what looks like a solid product using much of what has been found to work on these forums. The build looks solid for the price. Their design has metamorphosed since 2008 into what it is today. Our company has someone who tracks and archives sites such as these and I'll have to check the old site records, but, the bottom line is the corroboration of the commercial working designs with what we have found in these forums - is very close.

It doesn't have electronic controls relying on electrolyte and thermal control to vary amperage and thus output. We know that this is a chancy thing what with variance in temperature just from day to day throwing current draw off. You could simply talk to the forum members who are producing some electronic controls and add it to the commercial unit. Phil has people on edge with a promised electronic control unit for HHO.

You are correct about caustic electrolytes corroding aluminum. Copper, will last a long time in caustic, but I have found that traces of copper can pollute the electrolyte and transfer to the electrodes. I have a unit with copper pieces and after 10 years of use, it is not corroded to the point of perforation, but it is looking blackish and cruddy. I would caution against using copper in contact with your electrolyte even though it doesn't seem to be a system killer.

I've never heard anything about them, but I'd be wary of claims that a small 4x4 reactor is putting out up to 2.2lpm. With the corners all cut off the plates, there's probably only 9sq. in. of active plate area max..
    Aluminum will be eaten away in no time with a KOH E/lyte. Additionally, if a reactor needs cooling, it's built wrong, meaning the claims of up to 2.2lpm will be mostly steam, not HHO gas.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Thanks for the input!
    Yea, their website is pretty annoying.

I'm going back and forth on it...the price seems very good compared to other outfits I've seen, but the 9 plate/ 4x4" configuration makes me think that the HHO production might be overstated.

I suppose I should have asked the most important question...is there a ready made dry cell that you folks like, or would recommend?

I'm lucky in that I don't have to worry about electronics on the vehicle...my rig is a restored 1897 Toyota 4x4 pickup. No computer, and a carb. About the only things I've had to do since I started running the wet cells a couple of years ago, was to slightly lean out the carb, and tweak the timing just a tad.

Thanks for the input/advice....and keep it coming!
    www.caffreyknives.net

Shane: Thanks for the kinds words about my knives! It's my full time occupation. Been at it for 25+ years, and after retiring from the USAF 7 years ago, it became my full time job...but one I truly love.

I've been back and forth via email with AlternativeMPG, and after reading what's been written here, and the emails I've received, I'm torn. The price for a complete kit is good, but I still can't help but be nagged that they are not telling me everything. I ordered this dry cell last week.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT but it's still not arrived. (anybody know anything about that one?)

I'm thinking that whatever way I end of going with a dry cell, it seems I'm going to have to put some type of cooler in the system....and thought I would look around town today to see if I can find a small trans cooler with copper mains.
    KOYA: When you mentioned the AlternativeMPG cells overheating, did you have a cooler in the system?
    I guess I'm just gona have to bit the bullet, choose and buy a couple of different cells, then experiment to see what I can make work acceptably.
    Thanks for all the input and advice folks! Every post makes me think about another aspect! You folks are GOOD!
    www.caffreyknives.net

Well, the mailman delivered the cell that I mentioned in the previous thread (the one from Ebay)....this sucker is huge! I've been trying to figure out how to get it in the truck all afternoon. The biggest issue for me is figuring out how to mount the cell below the tank for gravity feed. I think that maybe I might have to use a smaller tank (the one I have now is 2 1/2 quart)....maybe then I can position things so the tank will feed the cell....just not much room under the hood of the Toyota!

I'll keep everyone posted on my adventures with this thing!
    www.caffreyknives.net