Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looks Like Maybe This Weekend

Yeah, IM2L844 is right about the current divider. The best analogy for this sort of thing is to picture the circuit like a bunch of PVC pipe. Something like this:

IN
    |
    ______|______
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    |___|___|____|
    |
    |
    OUT

You can see that as the water enters the IN port, it gets split up into 4 seperate paths, and then recombines when it leaves the OUT port. There's a "law" called Kirchoffs Current law, that basically states that the current into a "node", or better an "electrical connection", is equal to the current leaving the node. It's alot like water... If you have a single piece of pipe, then obviously the water entering the pipe is equal to the water leaving the pipe. Just like in the diagram, the water entering the IN port is equal to the water leaving the OUT port. Same thing with current, but it's electrons instead of water molecules.

The same applies to your cell. If you have multiple cells in parallel, then they all "see" the same voltage across them, so they just suck current as if they were the only one exposed to the voltage, however, the TOTAL current through the system is the sum of the currents through EACH cell.

When they are wired in series, then the total current is the current through EACH cell, as it is the same througout.

EDIT: Forum software sucks. The diagram looks fine until I hit post.

IM2L844- OK, good, glad no toes were stepped on. Phil-There was enough left there for me to see what you meant with the water analogy, thanks, both of you. I honestly have a better understanding of it now.

YES, I am bad. I did not look closely at the diagram. The individual devices are wired in parallel and then the devices are wired in series. I should have looked more closer before posting. I was referring to a standard series device.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Whew...I'm glad that all worked out.

When can we expect some initial test results?
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"

Yes, I am grateful myself..

As for the numbers, it's hard to say... I tend to work on it in bursts, and have too much other stuff going to devote big chunks of time to it. I've had a miserable head cold the past 3 days, but feeling a little better this afternoon so I should be able to at least hook up the control cables, but I don't feel up to wrestling with the mains. Since proper function is my priority, production numbers will get here eventually. I haven't even made a measuring device yet... maybe I can do that this evening too..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weekly progress report- system is installed and connected electrically, my daughter (worlds best helper, ever) and I got the wires in the control cable all identified/verified/connected. After she left I trimmed and connected the mains. The dogs (no ****) used two of my PVC threaded plugs that go in the tops of two of the bubbler's for chew toys, so I was unable to fill this evening, but will tomorrow after work.

Hey Phil- would you take a look at the attached schematic and tell me if I can jumper from the Ammeter to the Volt meter like that? Seems like it should be a parallel connection, but looks like it could be series also... It's just a cheap Sunpro Volt meter, but I'd rather not fry it if I don't have to... Thanks

What voltage are you trying to measure? First, it looks like you have a wire across the shunt terminals... That's not right. You should have a wire connecting to one terminal, then the "exit" wire connecting to the other terminal. This way, electrons are forced into the shunt, then exit and go into your cell. To get a current reading, measure the voltage at those terminals.

Nah, the shunt is wired properly according to installation instructions by the manuf. I may have graphically misrepresented it some how, but functionaly it is correct. My question concerns tapping the ammeter for my voltage reading- is this a viable method and will it give a legiti-- never mind-- I just realized something, I have to tap that at the pos & neg connections at opposite ends of the electroloyzer-- Sorry, had a brain fart, I'll try not to let it happen again...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phil- here is a photo of the shunt

OK, granted... I did over-simplify the graphic of the shunt on the schematic. The attached photo shows what it actually looks like. I went out last night after work to wire in the volt meter and got side tracked when I took the dash panel off. I had not yet properly mounted my new driving lights switch and vacuum gauge, so I routed the wires for the H-system's volt meter and made the connections at the e-lyzer. Under truck on back, zip ties, dirty grease, loose crap falling in face... You know. Anyway, got it to the point of incorporating that circuit into the wire loom in the cab and ran out of steam at about ten thirty. Last connection and electrolyte fill this evening, possibly even some preliminary production numbers. Keeping fingers crossed.

A case of gas...

Well, I have gas, Brown's gas that is, Texas's terror, clear gold... Anyway, not a lot of production due to using only distilled water, no KOH. I'm glad I decided to do it that way because I have at least half a dozen leaks, all hose to fitting, not e-lyzer. System only pulled 12A @ maybe 18-20V. Blew out my voltmeter, apparently I need one with a higher range, or I need to unhook it until I start using KOH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]