Thread: Building a PWM

Building a PWM

How practical is it for a non electronics person to build one of Zero's PWM's. I would love to buy one but just don't have the cash to spare. The cost of these things seem to be more down to labour than parts.

From what I can see it is mainly soldering and following instructions - or am I missing something?
    Regards

David

Yep - the one's ZFF makes are pretty cheap, but I think he's a professional engineer, so his time is why he sells them for so much.

I'm pretty sure you can make one of his for <$50. There are quite a few open-source PWM designs out there on youtube if you want to do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    Yep - the one's ZFF makes are pretty cheap, but I think he's a professional engineer, so his time is why he sells them for so much.

I'm pretty sure you can make one of his for <$50. There are quite a few open-source PWM designs out there on youtube if you want to do it yourself.
    Thanks for the reply. Are there any that you would recommend?
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    If you want to build one yourself, I sell PCB's. It will save you a lot of time and make construction a lot easier.

http://www.facetrough.com/product_in...roducts_id=480
    Thanks Shane

Sounds like a good idea but I am just reconnoitring at this stage and will see how my cell goes first.
    Regards

David

I'm not sure if this will help you or not (you might already know this) but a PWM is a DC motor speed controller. These aren't cheap off the shelf either, and some of the ones I've found online are larger than need be for these systems. You can find them with extra goodies already installed like current control and shunt circuits that might be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
    I'm not sure if this will help you or not (you might already know this) but a PWM is a DC motor speed controller. These aren't cheap off the shelf either, and some of the ones I've found online are larger than need be for these systems. You can find them with extra goodies already installed like current control and shunt circuits that might be worth considering.
    WRONG................ Some of the cheap "PWM'S" sold on E-Bay are merely DC motor controllers, bat a real PWM is much more.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

So what's different then?

Anyone heard of Advanced PWM?

Yes, I am a newbie to this site, but have experimented for a few years. Based on information from Patrick Kelley, PWM's are a key to being able to keep electrolyte concentration at max and amps down, no matter the outside temp or weather conditions. I found Advanced PWM has a fully enclosed, fanless unit. Any idea's. Also, some PWM control frequency and duty cycle - I need some explanation. Thanks for the help.