Thread: Graphite plates

Graphite plates

I have been working with graphite plates for a couple weeks and I am getting
    some good results. My amperage draw is down from my ss plates and the production is more intense. I will keep you informed and up to date.

I remember someone trying graphite a long time ago, but don't remember him posting any kind of results. I do seem to recall the plates breaking down though.
    Please keep us updated with your results!
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

I tried to use a pump that had a graphite bushing in the impeller. After about 20 hours, the graphite started to disolve (lots of black powder in the electrolyte) and the bushing swelled to the point the pump finally stopped.

This was running a 1 pound KOH flakes to 1 gallon distilled water conditioning solution.

Not sure if the KOH reacted with the graphite itself, or with the "binder" used to make the bushing.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Entegris

Just passing on some useful information about graphite plates. Entegris is a supplier we use in the semiconductor industry. I found that they are now supplying graphite plates for fuel cells. No doubt that they would be happy to make plates for someone here.

http://www.entegrisfuelcells.com
    Red Rat