Thread: Total Cell Value

Total Cell Value

HHO development has come a long way since the days of the wet cell. People now have cells that seem to be peaking out at a ceiling efficiency, and making huge amounts of gas.

However, it doesn't seem that we are looking at the BIG picture sometimes. For example, let's say someone makes a cell that only costs $200 total to make, and DOUBLES their MPG. That sounds awesome, right? If they were to normally spend $50 per week on gas, but now are only spending $25, then that's $25 savings per week. It wouldn't even take them 2 months to get a return on their investment... Cool, huh? The only thing is... Their cell won't even last 2 weeks(hypothetically here). Was the cell REALLY worth the investment? They spent $200, but only saved $50 in gas. A net LOSS of $150...

If that's simply for an experiment, then hey, no problem... But if we are to really figure out the long term feasibility of HHO, we need to come up with some sort of standardized figure of merit. Something that measures time until a return on investment, something that measures longevity of the cell, and something that measure overall gains/$$$. Otherwise, claims of 200% MPG increases are meaningless like in the example above. A certain "CPU fan cooled steam machine from a little carribean island" come to mind. The ideas are good, but are they practically feasible?

That's why we need some kind of gauge to measure up certain attributes of a HHO system. If we can do that, I think we will be able to further cell/system designs at an even faster rate.

"Whatever works, let's do it..."

You are exactly right Phill. That is why next week I am ordering parts (tanks, PWM, Power supply) to set up a couple of long term test for my cell design, now that I'm satiffied with the design. I will set up two identical units -- one running as a "loafing" amperage yeilding 2 lpm and one running at a "working hard" amperage yeilding 3.5 lpm. They will run 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, with monthly disasemble and inspection. The objective of this test is to determine cell life at the two power settings.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

That sounds like a great idea! Can't wait to see the results of these tests.
    Phil has a point too; I think some people are looking for a cool new hobby to sink money into - probably as much for the research as the novelty of it - and it is pretty cool!
    But the actual aim is to manufacture a system;
    1/ As cheaply as possible
    2/ That works and keeps working
    3/ Has a return on the investment
    4/ Doesn't have a detrimental effect on the vehicle (engine, alternator etc)
    5/ Is either legal or is able to be dismantled fully.

At the end of the day, it's not even all about cell efficiency so much as the improvement of mileage of the vehicle.

It's so easy to lose sight of the bigger picture though.

My two cents...

Cheers,
    Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Drafty-01 View Post

At the end of the day, it's not even all about cell efficiency so much as the improvement of mileage of the vehicle.
    Efficiency IS important, but outside of our test labs, needs to be balanced by cost/time in increasing that efficiency. I just finished a set of side-by-side test of two cells, built from the same plate. One has some "extras" to increase efficiency one did not. The one with the "extras" took 20 minutes more to assemble but at the top end, production rose from 3 to 3.6 lpm. So, it is worth the effort, and I can now prove that it is.

But you are right in that if HHO Assist does not improve vehicle efficiency, it's all a moot point.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

In a nutshell, what can we expect to gain from this?