Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexavalent Chromium

Hexavalent Chromium

Hi folks.

I'm new here and I'm trying to learn from all of you.

This site is a great resource for people like me, (newbies), who are learning about the potential benifits and aspects of Brown's gas.

Please forgive my foolish question, but I live in a very Liberal mind everybody's business left coast city up the road from Hinkley, CA, (Seattle).

Erin Brockovich made aqueous solutions of this form of chrome famous. It seems a far greater risk to humans if an inhalable dust in plating operations is present that workers breathe, (to an uninformed idiot: as me). That said: the huge 1996 or some such award against P G & E and Hollywierd made this particular form of chrome an issue for the used electrolyte I will soon begin to produce.

In my (early stage) research it seems that electrodes made of Stainless Steel 316L and an electrolyte of KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) are components of the (so far) most effective and efficient 12 volt generators of HHO gas to catalyze combustion in transportation equipment.

I have no doubt that this old technology HHO catalyst can produce measurable gains in efficiency and has a great deal of merit, and one day could become a significant way for all of us to import less oil and save money.

That all said, (and I hope you folks don't choose to debate the above premis(s) of this question), WHAT DOES EVERYONE DO WITH THEIR USED ELECTROLYTE?????

Here in Seattle it is problematic that the "house hold" hazmat clerk will allow a person, (who gives the full and truthful disclosure), to dump the stuff into the county/city's hazmat facility. If a person accumulates a 55 gallon plastic drum it can be hauled off by private hazmat companies for $400 to $500 per 55 gal barrel.

Any solutions found by the rest of you, (until better electrodes then stainless 316L are found)?

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Found something

Sorry to post to my own thread but I wanted a one stop location for helpful info.

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread....alent+Chromium

Post #6

This is the video that caused my concern.

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread....alent+Chromium

Sugar helps

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/duncan/17578/

Sorry for the posting to my own thread. I wanted to collect helpful stuff about this touchie subject.

Good work,you don't play around do you.I thank it safe to say working with SS is not worth the chance you take.I like to get better gas millage but I don't want cancer.I think working with titanium is a lot safer.I would like to see post of other people who are working with it.It has different characteristic but I like the way the water stays clear.
    Keep up the good work Abe

Quote Originally Posted by abe58 View Post
    Good work,you don't play around do you.I thank it safe to say working with SS is not worth the chance you take.I like to get better gas millage but I don't want cancer.I think working with titanium is a lot safer.I would like to see post of other people who are working with it.It has different characteristic but I like the way the water stays clear.
    Forget Titanium. It sucks. Yes it is very resistant to corrosion but it is a very ineffecient metal. If you want to get away from Stainless then buy Nickel 200 It will outperform stainless and WAY outperform Titanium. It just is somewhat more expensive.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

yea, I could just lay a few nickles on the tracks and how they work. Ha HA Ha Just kidding

OK here is what I have found out so far. titanium does not make a good + plate (anode) unless it is coated first.But does make a good - plate (cathode).Crome 6 comes from the -plates not the + plates.So I'm working on a cell with titanium - plates and SS + plates.Still working on spaceing.Not haveing coated titanium for + plates save money.Haven't work with nickel yet.(Cost to much) Abe

Quote Originally Posted by abe58 View Post
    Good work,you don't play around do you.
    Dunno that I did any work. Just read what the experimenters posted here and learned from their work as is the objective of this forum as I understand it.

I thank it safe to say working with SS is not worth the chance you take.I like to get better gas millage but I don't want cancer.
    If the risks are acknowledged by those generating the waste and controlled disposal happens I don't see much risk of cancer. If the +6 Chrome was in powder form it would be a real dangerous issue, in liquid not such a risk if producers of used electrolyte solution are careful as small amounts of liquid can be properly disposed of.

KOH is not such nice stuff either. Wouldn't want it on my corn flakes.

The unspecified stainless plates* with caustic non KOH electrolyte, (NaOH and NaHCO3*) don't seem to get above .4 -.6 (.5 mg per Liter*), (*the video showing the test doesn't identify the particular stainless plates used and the electrolyte is not KOH). Lower grade stainless maybe more of an issue as 316L, (L means low carbon, doesn't rust as much as lower grades of stainless).

I will need to test this myself once I have some well used KOH electrolyte from 316L, (16-18% Chromium content), and KOH. Unless someone else can do it and post reliable results.

I have noticed in searching the web that most youtube videos regarding Chrome+6 regarding HHO generators have been removed, (either by the author or by youtube). The titamium plate guys seem to want to hype the issue to futher their sales I assume.

Proper disposal of the small amounts of liquid involved should not create issues, IMHO.

Sugar to change the Chrome from +6 to +3 needs to be investigated, (as I intend to), as that would greatly lessen the issue as 93-94% of .5ppm becomes a very small amount of +6 Chrome indeed.

I think working with titanium is a lot safer.I would like to see post of other people who are working with it.It has different characteristic but I like the way the water stays clear.
    The KOH solution stays "clear" with the 316L as well.