Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hexavalent Chromium

Found a thread on another forum tonight that ads significant information to this puzzle.

It would seem the home test kit for Cr+6 mentioned in this thread, (youtube video), is not effective for a seriously alkaline electrolyte solution.

The test mentioned was from break in periods on brand new HHO generators where the chrome was concentrated.

http://nicksrealm.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69

"Hi Guys and (Gals?)
    I received the results on Friday from the testing agency.

They conducted two tests using the standard for testing CRVI BRL SOP-00106 EPA 7199
    One sample was from my wet-cell running a low concentration of NaOH and about 10 amps.
    The second sample was from my dry-cell at a higher concentration of NaOH and about 30 amps.

The results came back positive for both sample

The Dry-cell has 41 milligrams per litre (41000 Ug/ltr) of CRVI
    The Wet-cell has 7 milligrams per litre (7000 Ug/ltr) of CRVI
    So I have to assume from the numbers, the higher the chemical concentration and the higher the current, the more CRVI there is present.

This has been a real kick in the nuts for me. I have had a hard time coming to grips with the results.
    But the facts are the fact, regardless of what We wanted the outcome to be.
    their equipment and procedures are far more sophisticated then what Rao and I used.

Here is the results document:
    http://nicksrealm.com/Photos/albums/use ... 1_R006.pdf

Oh well

Glen"

"That works out to 410 parts per million and 70 parts per million."

linc in post doesn't work

This is pretty much accepted. The nagging question is -- after the cell is fully conditioned, and conditioned properly, what are the levels of hex-crome in the electrolyte that the end user will be exposed to?
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    This is pretty much accepted. The nagging question is -- after the cell is fully conditioned, and conditioned properly, what are the levels of hex-crome in the electrolyte that the end user will be exposed to?
    Agreed.

I was under the impression the inexpensive Cr+6 test may give some insight into that question.

It seems the high PH causes issues with the test.