Thread: Please help. I cant access this site (outside of using a public Proxy Server)

HELP -I think this site may be blocking my Internet Service Providors IP range

For a long time i have not been able to access this web site. I am not exaggerating in saying that the successful connection to read posts has been for an extremely low % of time. Up until recently i had thought the web site was being hosted by a cheap company that is bad enough to be "down" most of the time, or something like the Servers/ computers or whatever to call it, were just dysfunctional / plagued with technical problems. I have rarely had internet access problems and had not thought it was my computer for that reason. The success rate was so low, i had given up.

A few weeks ago i received an email indicating i received a PM in the HHO forums. Once again, HHO forum seemed to be "down"/ not accessible. The email shows part of the message, and being short, it seemed like all of it. I was not interested in responding or reading the rest of the message, because it seemed a bit suspect to receive a message along the lines of " hi, i am new here. Hows it going". Especially when i consider that i have not been here for a long while due to not being able to access. If i remember correctly, I have only contributed to 2 threads in the past.

Very recently, it occurred to me to try accessing the web site through a proxy server. Lo and behold, this "method" actually gave me access to the HHOForums. Why is it so??? what could cause this...... I am taking a guess at a scenario. I don't know if this is how it works, but i think an ISP has a certain range of internet addresses (IP), similar to a large business having a "range" of telephone numbers. A range that perhaps (?) can be identified. My ISP provides a new IP address each time i turn on my computer to access the internet. Is it possible that somehow HHO forums is filtering out my ISPs IP "range"?

Is my ISP being "blacklisted" due the changing nature of IP address? In the past 10 or so years of internet access i have had at least one web site i could not access (aside from Google Cache for a specific page), giving a message along the lines of some Service Providors being blacklisted. That is what made me think that may be happening here. Here in Australia my ISP is about the 3rd or 4th largest ISP, and the dynamic IP addressing systems is not uncommon here. so, if it is that i am being filtered, then i am sure there could be many others who are also not able to access this web site at all.

I have another account (johnyb). I did not trust having my password (or email address) going through a proxy server, hence i signed up another HHO and email account. I mentioned this issue last year (or may have been a bit longer than that) to the forums administrators / webmaster, or whatever the correct terminology is. A few days ago, i communicated to the webmasters/ Administrator, through the contact us. Yet again, there has been no response. Please, can you look into this. If you still have access to old mail, you will see that i did send (through Johnyb account) last year or a bit longer.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by app12 View Post
    For a long time i have not been able to access this web site. I am not exaggerating in saying that the successful connection to read posts has been for an extremely low % of time. Up until recently i had thought the web site was being hosted by a cheap company that is bad enough to be "down" most of the time, or something like the Servers/ computers or whatever to call it, were just dysfunctional / plagued with technical problems. I have rarely had internet access problems and had not thought it was my computer for that reason. The success rate was so low, that i had given up.

A few weeks ago i received an email indicating i received a PM in the HHO forums. Once again, HHO forum seemed to be "down"/ not accessible. The email shows part of the message, and being short, it seemed like all of it. I was not interested in responding or reading the rest of the message, because it seemed a bit suspect to receive a message along the lines of " hi, i am new here. Hows it going". Especially when i consider that i have not been here for a long while due to not being able to access. If i remember correctly, I have only contributed to 2 threads in the past.

Very recently, it occurred to me to try accessing the web site through a proxy server. Lo and behold, this "method" actually gave me access to the HHOForums. Why is it so??? what could cause this...... I am taking a guess at a scenario. I don't know if this is how it works, but i think an ISP has a certain range of internet addresses (IP), similar to a large business having a "range" of telephone numbers. A range that perhaps (?) can be identified. My ISP provides a new IP address each time i turn on my computer to access the internet. Is it possible that somehow HHO forums is filtering out my ISPs IP "range"?

Is my ISP being "blacklisted" due the changing nature of IP address? In the past 10 or so years of internet access i have had at least one web site i could not access (aside from Google Cache for a specific page), giving a message along the lines of some Service Providors being blacklisted. That is what made me think that may be happening here. Here in Australia my ISP is about the 3rd or 4th largest ISP, and the dynamic IP addressing systems is not uncommon here. so, if it is that i am being filtered, then i am sure there could be many others who are also not able to access this web site at all.

I have another account (johnyb). I did not trust having my password (or email address) going through a proxy server, hence i signed up another HHO and email account. I mentioned this issue last year (or may have been a bit longer than that) to the forums administrators / webmaster, or whatever the correct terminology is. A few days ago, i communicated to the webmasters/ Administrator, through the contact us. Yet again, there has been no response. Please, can you look into this. If you still have access to old mail, you will see that i did send (through Johnyb account) last year or a bit longer.

Thanks.
    I've had similar problems. I could always access this site from work, where everything is routed through Austria. From home (Australia) I can only get on occasionally. It's a great site but too unreliable to start discussions that I probably can't reply to.

Yes, i too think it is a great site.

I wonder if we have the same ISP in common. I am using iinet.

For those who do get blocked/ turned away from this site, how else would they know to let the administrators know about the issue, unless through less common situations like yourself where you access through elsewhere, or as in my situation, where i happened to have an in the moment hunch that led to further insight. I do not normally use it, but it was suggested to me as a way of getting around YouTubes country discrimination, where some content is free in the US, is not in my country.

Anyhow, i do hope this HHOforums access can get sorted out.. I am really not keen on using a Proxy.

Once i couldn't view it from my friends house.

The site doesnt have much info on its whois, just the domain name hosting is verisign....

Seems rather odd.

I have a feeling the site is hosted by a nobody and he just has the forum hosted by a nobody company that has major issues...

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.G View Post
    I've had similar problems. I could always access this site from work, where everything is routed through Austria. From home (Australia) I can only get on occasionally. It's a great site but too unreliable to start discussions that I probably can't reply to.
    Odd, since I posted this I've gotten on every time.

thanks mr forum owner.. I can access the forums now

Thank you Mr forum owner... Whatever you did seems to have fixed the issue. I can now access the forum without having to use a proxy server.

Angry Registration Difficulty

I tried many times to Register under my preffered ID, but was continually refused. I kept trying dozens of times, and carefully followed your stringent
    guidlines, but to no avail. Then after several tries with the ID and PW I now use, I was finally successful.
    What lmakes this site so difficult to Register and sign in? Why the tough methods? ? I'm sure some who have tried, made a minor error, than could not
    sign or change their PW, just got frustrated and said to hell with it.
    I almost was one of those.

FYI - "EASE UP" ! ! ! !