Thread: My installation rant!

My installation rant!

So being a stickler for details, today I decided to do a leak test on the liquid system of my install.
    Figuring that in case of a leak it's easier to deal with water instead of KOH. I thought is may be
    possible for a clamp to need tightening. So I fill the reservoir with distilled water, I prime the pump and fire her up.
    She is pumping nicely. As I am looking at all the clamps I notice a leak from the bottom of the reservoir.
    I tighten the clamp on the barb & it's still drips once every 8 seconds. I unbolt the
    reservoir & wouldn't you know it, the ONLY part I actually bought was leaking...the reservoir!
    I never bothered to test if the barbs were sealed to the tank properly. I guess quality control lacks from some suppliers!
    So I pulled the tank & put silicon around all 3 barbs just to make sure they seal.
    I'll check it tomorrow to make sure they are water tight.

I guess the bright side is the unit wasn't filled with my 28% KOH solution!

Rule of thumb...check EVERYTHING assume NOTHING!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

My rad res kinda leaks.

Those little nipples that have the ball were the issue. The molding seem was HUGE and my tube was not getting a good fit, even with clamps.
    So just used a bit of sand paper and tada~

Clamps are a MUST now due to the nipple being even smaller since i sanded it down a bit.

Concern over the longevity of sealing the leak with just silicon, I removed the Silicone from the barb and rechecked the leak. It appears to be a pinhole size. between the barb & the tank. I dried it up and applied Weldon 16. I went on like airplane glue around the fitting. I used a liberal amount and in no time it built around the barb. It dried to the touch in 5 minutes but will take 24 hours to fully cure. It looks like it will make a nice tight seal. So after it cured, I tested it again. Weldon 16 worked like a dream!
    Absolutely no leaks. I filled it with water & let is sit. No leaks. I put on the cap, attached a hose connecting the bottom 2 barbs together, put a hose with a check valve on the the last barb & pressurized it with 5 Lbs of air pressure. Again, no water leaks after 1 hour. I cracked the caps & heard the desired "PSSST" of a depressurizing reservoir.

Problem solved!

PS, Good call Viper, it's always a good idea to use reinforced hose & to clamp the hoses anyway. With vibration & road use, you never know when a hose may weaken. The last thing you want is a KOH leak!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell