Thread: My First Cell

My First Cell

Hey, Just wanted to share my first Cell, I am makeing 3 of these. Each are 20 Stainless Steel washers. Connected in +-+-. Running them off a 12 volt 35 amp power supply through a PWM. Just finished one today.

Good morning TACAMO,
    and welcome to the forum. Your unit reminds me of and old sci-fi movie prop! I assume you are only building that particular style of electrolyzer because you just want to see the bubbles, right? Since I don't know where you want to take your experimentation with HHO, whether you want mileage improvement or just a potentially dangerous hobby, I don't want to sound harsh or deter your efforts. Having said that, perhaps what I say next will be taken with some greater sense of perspective. Save your money. The state of the art is currently being redefined due to a LOT of effort on the part of a couple of dozen well informed and deeply committed individuals that have spent thousands of dollars and hours figuring out the optimum size, style, spacing, current, electrolyte, voltage, MATERIAL, and too many subtleties to list. The device you are building now is referred to by folks on this board as a "steam machine" because it has massive current leakage, gets hot and makes steam and is extremely inefficient as far as electrolyzers go. If you want something that works well, then copy the style of electrolyzers you see on this board and other places where you see the dry cell design. If you can afford it use Nickel200 instead of 316L stainless for your plates, all nuts, bolts & washers should be stainless, don't space your plates further apart than 1/16" of an inch, don't make your electrolyte transfer holes at the bottom of your cell larger than 1/8" diameter, and stagger them right to left. Do not waste your time/money with any electrolyte other than KOH, make your electrolyzer a bit taller than wide, use a PWM or some type of electronics to limit amperage/voltage. And READ-READ-READ-READ! I have been studying this stuff for twenty years and still learn new things about it every single day!
    Be safe, wear gloves and eye protection, use fuses- they're cheaper in the long run! And above all, Have Fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks man this forum is great. I'm building this just to experiment and learn a little and yes see the bubbles. I don't plan of putting this in a car or anything, I just like to make things. I might turn this it into a torch if possible. Eventuality I would like to make a dry cell and put it in my old jeep.

That cell is just too ineficient to run a torch... save your money, build/buy a drycell.

I wish i had my first cell :{
    I used the cover plates from an old computer. After a few hours of using them they turned into a greenish goo and disapeared into my water....

My next wet cell from SS wall plates i still have, its a nice steam machine and makes lots of fun bubbles to pop.

Its funny i see alot of new people go straight to the washer wet cells. I guess cause its easy to bolt them together? Not 1 hole needed ot drill or anything...

To beaver, how much lmp do you need for a tourch? Cause i may wanna try and build one for fun, running 24v i get around 4lmp so i think that is enough?