Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like it works..

Looks like it works..

OK, the leaks are fixed, electrolyte added, taken for a test drive.. I am happy to report that the electronics are working like they are supposed to, and the alternator can supply all 150A at 8V! I made the belt squeal one time by turning the amps up too quickly. I will set up and run the lpm test in the next day or two. Until then, here is the video location on Youtube. Sorry the ammeter is so hard to read- I'll use a light on it next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqOmFj4Nt0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bio
    That is one impressive setup!
    Looks like you'll be able to hide/protect the unit easily in a diamond plate bed box.
    What is the max output of the alternator?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

That is a very impressive set up. Best of luck.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Heh i guess thats in a safe spot
    I can see someone putting it in the tail end of the truck and then getting rear ended

That is ONE nice setup too.
    I plan on making one for my father's 92 S-10 over the summer. I hope it looks something like yours....

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. I'm glad the build is finished and works, since it has taken me nearly 7 months from initial design to completion and I am ready to work on something else now. I have gathered together most of the parts and pieces to make the measuring device, and will try to get that put together over the next day or two. I am very interested to see what kind of production I can get at different amperage settings, and start searching for the sweet spot. I have no mileage numbers yet, as the big testing weekend with the electrical engineers, visual fuel setup and video documentation is going to take a bit of logistics to pull together, but so far everyone is onboard with the idea and as anxious to see the results as I am.

@ Cabrera- I wish! -I should have paid more attention to the size of the tool boxes because that was my plan from the start. However... I'm afraid I built it just a little too tall to fit in any that I can afford, so a plywood box may be in its future.. The alternator is actually a 150A Zena continuous duty rated welding power supply unit that I purchased back in '06 with the basic electronics package for welding, which turned out to be exactly the same thing we need for fine tuning volts & amps in HHO production.

@ Koya- Thank you very much, and yes, I am really looking forward to some diesel install photos and videos from you... Even now I am alredy thinking how I might condense everything to get it mounted in front of the radiator, but that is not a priority at the moment. 21.6mpg? Sounds pretty good for 3.5lpm. Did he do a little tune up to go along with the HHO? Maybe fresh inectors? You know that you can back off the injection timing and save a little fuel that way too, now that you have that flame front speed enhanced. By the way, what does BZ mean? I got out in '82 and don't remember that one- or is it fairly new?

@ H2OPWR- Thank you sir... Luck and distilled water...

@ Viper- Thank you, and yeah with a F350 Crew/Dually that has a trailer hitch, if some one rear-ends me, the LEAST of their worries is going to be the pop of a bit of hydrogen, or some KOH water possibly ruining their pant! I guess your dad's S10 is a gasoline/computer engine? I can only wish you the best of luck in your pursuit... After seeing all the flaming hoops that late model vehicle owners have to jump through to get any kind of improvement, it reinforces yet again the sense of satisfaction I have with the decision to go old school diesel. I have been casually looking for an older ('85) Mercedes turbo-diesel to convert (or buy already converted) to run on WVO/HHO or BIO-D/HHO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Koya, I really like the red Oatey stopper you are using for a lid- so much that I went and searched until I found out what it was, because my caps are a royal pain in the butt to take off and put on, plus they don't seal real well unless you crank down on them. I have seen one of those expandable pipe plugs before, but it was lost in memory until the photo reminded me. How did the Powerstroke do? Was it a year-model with the split-shot injection? I've recently been thinking that the split-shot problem may be able to be solved by just retarding the injection timing by a degree when using HHO. Know a good chip man? Listening to that Powerstroke idle sure sounded smooth compared to the lope that my N/A 7.3 idi has- almost sounds like a little cam action going on in the old motors, but I have listened to a dozen of them and they all sound the same.

I like the fact that your design fits in the tool box. Very nice looking build. The only thing I see that gives me any concern is the exposed electronics on the side. You might want to consider some form of splash guard or cover for when you're filling the system- I know the tool box lid keeps the rain off of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BIO, Nice work. Cant wait to hear some more outcomes.
    You mentioned finding an 85 or older Mercedes to experement on.
    I just recently traded my 92 F-250 7.3idi in for an 85 BMW 524TD.
    2.4L I6 Turbo Diesel. I never got around to installing my wet cell onto my F-250, and that unit is way to Tall for the BMW. Plus I've put most of my attention on the Dry Cells anyways. But, I've already got Ideas for the HHO on the BMW.
    96 E-250 4.9L, 100,000 Miles.
    12.5 MPG Befor HHO
    16.5 (Best) after HHO.
    Modified Smack Gen I Cell.

85 BMW 524TD
    26-32MPH
    HHO Coming soon

A TOOL Is only as GOOD as it's operator. If the Operator DON'T KNOW How to work it, The TOOL WON'T WORK

Koya

I don't remember the Details on how to do it, But on the Old IDI's, there's an inspection plate (I guess you'd call it) on the front of the Injector pump. You pull 2 small bolts out, turn the engine over until you see a small allen head bolt, and you can raise and lower the injectors fuel delivery. Powerstroke.org is a good place to start, even tho the IDI's aren't powerstrokes, there's plenty of good IDI Info on that site
    96 E-250 4.9L, 100,000 Miles.
    12.5 MPG Befor HHO
    16.5 (Best) after HHO.
    Modified Smack Gen I Cell.

85 BMW 524TD
    26-32MPH
    HHO Coming soon

A TOOL Is only as GOOD as it's operator. If the Operator DON'T KNOW How to work it, The TOOL WON'T WORK

OK, I just did a little research.. It looks like California Powerstrokes got the split shots in '96 and the rest of the country in '97. As for timing the Powerstrokes, you are going to have to do it with a programmer. I wish I could say that I know more about the computer end of the later diesels but I don't. I have an old one that you just loosen a couple bolts and rotate the whole pump- injector lines and all! Not exactly high tech but that's one of the idi's charms.

Don't worry about making a video for the pipe plug/coupler reinforcement unless you just want to- when I saw off my current threaded reducer top I will be left with the outer body of it to serve the same purpose. Good idea, it sounds like you may have had a pipe crack on you?

If the '91 you're getting ready to do is anything at all like my '89, it's going to love it.. I'm not going to get any better mileage out of it though until I can keep my foot off of the skinny pedal! Ole Henry runs so strong now that I find I have to shift short and no longer have to ride the power band... Absolutely amazing what sounds like now also, such sharp detonations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RC,
    Are you going to have enough room in that Beemer to get the planes to the field, or do you have a trailer??? When I started flying the bigger stuff I ended up getting an old Chevy van and pulling the back two rows of seats out of it. I could haul the whole shop to a contest, or a flying buddy and all his stuff as well.

As far as the quest to get the best mileage possible from my truck goes, there are several more things on the agenda. Functional ram-air. New pop-matched injectors. Exhaust system re-sizing. Water injection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]