Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HHO bubbler/ scrubbers

HHO bubbler/ scrubbers

Been a while since I been here. Anyhow every time I use a scrubber I still get electrolyte in the scrubber. I made a few of them but, none really works. Does anyone else have these problems? And is vinegar water used for neutralizing.
    2003 chevy blazer 18-21 city, 25-27 hwy. 36 plate dry cell generator. O2 extender

The purpose of a bubble/scrubber is to remove the electrolyte vapors that get carried along with the HHO gas, so over time, your bubbler water will contain some KOH (if that's what you are using). I have found that with a 2.5 lpm production rate, the water in my bubber gets cloudy in about 25-30 hours of operation, and if I rub the water between my fingers it feels slick. That is when I change mine.

If, on the other hand, you are saying that your bubbler/scrubber "fills" with electrolyte -- that the liquid level actually rises -- then you have a plumbing problems in your system.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    The purpose of a bubble/scrubber is to remove the electrolyte vapors that get carried along with the HHO gas, so over time, your bubbler water will contain some KOH (if that's what you are using). I have found that with a 2.5 lpm production rate, the water in my bubber gets cloudy in about 25-30 hours of operation, and if I rub the water between my fingers it feels slick. That is when I change mine.

If, on the other hand, you are saying that your bubbler/scrubber "fills" with electrolyte -- that the liquid level actually rises -- then you have a plumbing problems in your system.
    That's true about the slippery feel in your fingers to that thought. My scrubber doesn't rise at all, in fact sometimes it evaporates. Anyhow, but I do get a residual in my intake. And that I don't like. Any event do you use just plane water or anything else. I tried to figure this solution out many of times.
    2003 chevy blazer 18-21 city, 25-27 hwy. 36 plate dry cell generator. O2 extender

It is important that you bubbler produces very small bubbles. The KOH vapor "hides" inside the bubbles. If you just stick a tube into the water, you won't remove much KOH. I use two aquarium air stones.

If I hold the HHO supply tube (before it goes into the bubbler) in the light, I can see wisps of vapor (looks like smoke). After it comes out of the bubbler, I can see none.

I only use water in my bubbler, but some add about 50% vinegar which will neutralize the KOH. You just need to make sure that none of the vinegar could be drawn back into your electrolyte tank.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    It is important that you bubbler produces very small bubbles. The KOH vapor "hides" inside the bubbles. If you just stick a tube into the water, you won't remove much KOH. I use two aquarium air stones.

If I hold the HHO supply tube (before it goes into the bubbler) in the light, I can see wisps of vapor (looks like smoke). After it comes out of the bubbler, I can see none.

I only use water in my bubbler, but some add about 50% vinegar which will neutralize the KOH. You just need to make sure that none of the vinegar could be drawn back into your electrolyte tank.
    Now that you use a scrubber with aquarium stones, don't those get caught up with debris? And also the vapor we see in our reservoirs. I'm aware of that, but I always wonder if hho vapor is actually cutting through the scrubber. What's your real thoughts of this without sticking a tube in some water and actually lighting it with a match to verify hho? Believe me I know the volatility of hydrogen, but I don't know of any other way to test it. What does everybody do to test it?

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    Now that you use a scrubber with aquarium stones, don't those get caught up with debris? And also the vapor we see in our reservoirs. I'm aware of that, but I always wonder if hho vapor is actually cutting through the scrubber. What's your real thoughts of this without sticking a tube in some water and actually lighting it with a match to verify hho? Believe me I know the volatility of hydrogen, but I don't know of any other way to test it. What does everybody do to test it?
    As long as you use a separator tank before the bubbler/scrubber, there should be no debris. I suppose in time they might, but they're easy and cheap to replace.

The vapor you see is your electrolyte -- the distilled water and KOH. It is not steam. It is vapor that is produced mechanically by the violate bubbling action with cell, much like a modern "cool mist" vaporizer. It is this mist you need to remove, because it does contain some KOH. If you pull the INLET hose off your bubbler, you can see the mist coming out of the hose. If you pull the OUTLET hose, you should not be able to see any vapor/mist. If you can still see the mist, you need to break your bubbles to release the mist they are carrying.

Nice videography!

I think this would be one of the most critical things to get right. If it isn't, it could cost $$$$, causing loads of damage.

Where did you get the clear tube from.

Cheers,
    Martin.

Cool bubbler/ scrubber

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    I went to the pet store and was looking at these aquarium stones and they are so small. With the production of HHO my generator produces. This would be impossible for me to use. My generator kicks out 2-3 liters/min. Those stones are like a 16th/in. tubes connected to them which is way too small. Is there something I.m missing. Am I looking in the wrong place? Anyhow I may add that last time I used a scrubber, it also was turning into Brown's gas. I have to be missing something completely. If you may. Pass your info.

I use the larger stones -- about 1/2 inch diameter and 1 inch long. I use two stones for my ~ 3 lpm system and three stones for ~ 4 lpm and four stones for ~ 6 lpm.

The Scrubber stone I use is a fuel filter for a Rochester Carburetor (say from a 1964 Chevy Corvair) and my scrubber has a 50/50 mix of water & distilled Vinegar. This combination has an additional benefit that it take care of any steam as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell