Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Dry Cell

My First Dry Cell

Hello everyone, this is my first post, great forum..
    I built wet cells before but they werent effective enought and i would like to try a dry cell..
    I got some stainless plate cut yesterday..i had them cut 6" x 4"..
    I have 8 bipolar (neutral) plates and 4 plates that can either be + or -..
    If you are wondering what i mean, i had the four plate cut with a ridge on the end so i can connect a teminal..
    Can anyone please advise me on the layout that would be best..
    should i go with..
    1) +NNNN--NNNN+
    2) -NNNN++NNNN-
    3) +NNNN-NNNN+
    4) -NNNN+NNNN-
    5) -NN+NN-NN+
    6) -NNN+NNN-

Please give me an idea, even if i dont have it on the list there, still let me know if anyone has better ideas, thank you..

Number 2 is what you want. Normally people just do it like this

-NNNN+NNNN-

But with this orientation you have 2 - and only 1 +. I believe it is best to have equal + and - in a cell.

A cell like this would also be fine even without the doubles in the middle because it has equal amounts of power plates

-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+

It doesn't matter weather where the power plates are either + or -... number 1 and 2 are the same.

Thank you both for your reply...the true purpose of the cell im building is for a torch, and of course i would try it in my car after but for now im focusing on the torch..
    As BeaverRat said, its better to have equal amounts on + and - plates...so maybe i should go with
    -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+

But according to koya1893 i can get 2lpm with just -NNNNN+
    What should i do? should i create to individual cells -NNNNN+ //// -NNNNN+
    or one cell arranged like -NNNNN++NNNNN-
    Please let me know..and one more thing..how many holes should i drill in the plates? Two? one to the top and one to the bottom? thank you..

Individual cells. Sets must be isolated for best results. Build it light, compact and remember what DC current is: the unidirectional flow of electric charge. Don't go effing up polarity. You'll be fine.

So you are saying that if i make two completely seperate cells
    -NNNN+ and -NNNN+
    I would have better production than -NNNN+NNNN- ?
    Why doest anyone build seperat cells and combine the output?

Thanks man..i have one question..is im not going to be using an air stone, would i be getting koh vapour in my output? how can i get around that? thanks again..

Can you give me an idea on what i need to use? thank you..

What about using multiple air stones? if one would be to slow causing pressure build up then multiple air stones should help that..im i right?

Hey Last-
    If you are worried that back pressure may be an issue, you could try the turbulated bubbler method I use.. Hit the dollar store and pick up a few packages of those plastic expanded mesh pot scrubbers. Unroll them like a big condom and take the rubber band and piece of foam out of them. Stuff your bubbler full of them, not packed tight but don't leave any room for the bubbles to go around them. This will break up the bubbles over and over as they rise through the layers of mesh and IMHO do a superior job of scrubbing the gas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A big condom, got it! lol..i would try it, that sounds good..i understand good enough but do you have any pictures? that would be nice..thanks..