Thread: Glass insulation arrestor

Glass insulation arrestor

Hi all

I was thinking about alternatives to bronze wool for flashback arrestors as it is very hard to find in the uk.

Then I thought about using glass fibre insulation as it is much finer than bronze wool (so it has a much higher surface area), completely chemical resistant and very easy to get hold of (most houses have roofs or water tanks lined with it).

Since it is so fine, its low(ish) heat conductivity shouldnt affect its ability to stop flashbacks.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this?

Thanks

I've been trying to perfect a design I'm working on that utilizes fiberglass (glass wool). It does work for stopping the flame, and works well. However, you need to have it packed in such a way that there is absolutely no path for the flame other than through the glass wool. If it finds a way, the wool will singe and you will have a loud boom.

Be careful using that stuff though. Wear gloves and possibly a respirator when handling. If it gets in your lungs it might be carcinogenic.

I have eventually tried out the fibre glass and it effectively stops flashbacks, as long as it has been packed down the tube.

One thing I did notice, that I think Danger said, is the flame didn't go out but carried on burning, melting the fibreglass. Luckily, the baloon ran out of gas before it melted all the way through.