Thread: How to stop & start the HHO cell

How to stop & start the HHO cell

I am wondering how others control the stop and start of the cell when installed in a car.

Currently on mine I have switch (via ignition) in the cab to do it manually but really want to automate this to avoid forgetting that it is one when the engine is not running. I was thinking of getting a vacuum/pressure switch so that it was only on when the engine was running.

I saw another idea which linked to the throttle cable so that it switched off at idle.

Would welcome any ideas.
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    Majority of the system I've installed are activated through a hot wire when the car or truck is running. when you turn the car off it de-energized the relay. For when you are working on the car and need power you can install a switch to the wire that powers the relay. that way you can turn your ignition on to service the car, with the switch you can disable the system that way.
    Thanks

That is the way I have it currently wired, but I have discovered that it is too easy to switch off the engine and forget when you next switch on the ignition that you did not turn the relay off. I was looking at some way to guard against it.
    Regards

David

Some folks use the Oil Pressure switch to activate the relay, that way even if the key is in the on position and your car is not running, your cell has zero power. It only powers on when you have oil pressure.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    The wire that powers the relay is only energized when the vehicle is running once you turn the car off the system should be dead. I don't see how you can forget to turn the system of when the car is not running.

Terminal # 86 on any relay is receives power from the accessory when the key on the start position. When the key is off all the way no power will run through it, hence when the car is running it will power up the relay and when the car is off it will shut down the system. The switch is on that wire that way if you need power while working and need power on the car you can switch the relay of.
    Sure that is right, but you can easily put the key in the accessory position which will power it up without the engine running.
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    Some folks use the Oil Pressure switch to activate the relay, that way even if the key is in the on position and your car is not running, your cell has zero power. It only powers on when you have oil pressure.
    Thanks

I was wondering about doing that but since you are effectively shorting the pressure sensor out whether that would have an adverse effect.
    Regards

David

It depends on the individual install, but I use a wire tapped into the ignitions "run" position and it then runs through either a Voltage Sensing Relay or an oil pressure switch (remove orginal sensor, install tee, put original sensor in one end of tee and pressure switch on other end). This way, the switch must be on (run) and the engine must be running before hydrogen will be produced. I use usually use the VSR for land vehicles, but some of the electrictal systems in work boats are weird and the oil pressure switch is easier. Important thing is to have at least 2 in series.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    It depends on the individual install, but I use a wire tapped into the ignitions "run" position and it then runs through either a Voltage Sensing Relay or an oil pressure switch (remove orginal sensor, install tee, put original sensor in one end of tee and pressure switch on other end). This way, the switch must be on (run) and the engine must be running before hydrogen will be produced. I use usually use the VSR for land vehicles, but some of the electrictal systems in work boats are weird and the oil pressure switch is easier. Important thing is to have at least 2 in series.
    Thanks for the idea

I like the idea of using the oil pressure switch and have been playing around with it this afternoon but had the wrong type of relay. I have ordered a changeover relay which I think should work once I work out the wiring.
    Regards

David