Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The BEST electrolyte mixture.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mario brito View Post
    i use NaOH. haven't found a KOH supplier yet.

my container takes 1L of water and i usually put 2 small coffe spoons of NaOH ( i guess maybe 10g ). more than that and i can not control temperature.
    i also don't have the means to control V or Amps. the cell "takes what it whants".

so my question is, if i go for that NaOH concentration, and since the negative pole is the container itself, to control the temp, i should use a smaller positive plate ?

thanks
    27% KOH is the best electrolyte to obtain the most Hydroxy by electrolysis.

If you are seeking the best, you know what to reach for.

Yes, you are correct, the smallest plate in the cell is the control plate.

For example, using tubes within tubes.

The smallest diameter tube controls the current.

The other tubes (beyond the area of the smallest tube), are not productive other than by contributing shape and ease of fabrication.

NASA uses 27% KOH.

To me, NASA is the standard.

Whatever concentration you use, measure it and you will then know where you are in relation to NASA.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu, what about current draw and heat? From what I have read in these forums more KOH will cause more current draw and also more heat.

I believe what BoyntonStu is saying is that the older experiments determined that 27% was the most efficient amount. Or in another words 27% may be the amount at which water conductivity is no longer increased. It maybe like trying to mix too much sugar in water. At some point the water can no longer dissolve the sugar.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

I know that in some systems a 27% mixture may be too much, causing high amp draw and high heat. We need to build an adjustable dc current limiter to control the amperage to allow us to use the most efficient electrolyte mixture. One could attempt to make a cell that has plated that are adjustable. Move them further or closer together to control amp draw. It would be a main to make a production unit to do that , but a test unit should work well.

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    It has been demonstrated that a 27% KOH/Water electrolyte is the most efficient formula for making Hydroxy.

Wouldn't it be great if this became the standard by which all experimenters could compare results?

BoyntonStu

FWIW
    I'll agree with the 27% solution. Of course there is a 'however'.

Not to be critical, but you usually miss an important point on this forum. So far, all the information you've posted on this board is correct according to my own research. I believe you know this hho subject quite well. Here is the 'however' part. Most of the experiments performed by members here are an attempt to design and build a BOOSTER that fits the application they need, as in the vehicle they own. It is not practical for a 27% solution to be applied to all designs. Catalist in this application must be customized to regulate desired amp draw. A 'standard' cannot be used in most cases.

Which part of that page? The adjusting electrolyte section paragraph? My previous post in this thread were meant to keep the electrolyte saturation at 27% and adjusting the current into the cell with a limiter or by increasing or decreasing the plate spacing to control amp draw. I know I can control it by adding or taking away electrolyte or water. Like I said though, the intent was to keep the 27% mixture ratio.

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    I know that in some systems a 27% mixture may be too much, causing high amp draw and high heat. We need to build an adjustable dc current limiter to control the amperage to allow us to use the most efficient electrolyte mixture. One could attempt to make a cell that has plated that are adjustable. Move them further or closer together to control amp draw. It would be a main to make a production unit to do that , but a test unit should work well.
    But if we continue to add circutry, add variables, add complexity, add cost, to get a modest raise in mpg's, then hho is less of a useable option.

It's simple and easy to regulate current draw with the mixture. Call it 'user friendly'.

Just curious....

BoyntonStu,

I apologize if you've answered this in another thread already, but have you ever built or attempted to build and HHO electrolyzer? It's obvious that you're quite the book worm, but I'm very interested to know what lab experience you have and if you have any info or experience to share that way? I convinced your book smarts would be quite valuable in actual physical experimenting.
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by timetowinarace View Post
    I'll agree with the 27% solution. Of course there is a 'however'.

Not to be critical, but you usually miss an important point on this forum. So far, all the information you've posted on this board is correct according to my own research. I believe you know this hho subject quite well. Here is the 'however' part. Most of the experiments performed by members here are an attempt to design and build a BOOSTER that fits the application they need, as in the vehicle they own. It is not practical for a 27% solution to be applied to all designs. Catalist in this application must be customized to regulate desired amp draw. A 'standard' cannot be used in most cases.

I agree with you.

My point was the focus on the ability to repeat an experiment if one chooses to do so.

So let's agree on some rules that are PRACTICAL.

Use whatever you like but please report according to rules that we can agree on.

#1 Although KOH is the best. It is not readily available.
    NaOH is available at Lowes.
    Since NaOH is fairly close to KOH we can shift to KOH later.

>>>We agree to always use NaOH.<<<<

#2 We agree NEVER to use tap water.
    We cannot know the differences.
    Distilled water is cheap enough and readily available.

>>>We agree to always use distilled water<<

#3 We take a 2 liters of distilled water.
    We buy and use a gm scale and we record the gm weight of NaOH added to the water.

When we report our experiments we state what the electrolyte mix is.

Can we all agree on these 3 rules?

BoyntonStu