Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The BEST electrolyte mixture.

tbhavsar Guest
    Catalyst concentration will also depend on number of cells you connect in Series. From my experience, you can add more NaOH or KOH in series than running in Parallel. E.g. if I want to run 4 cells; two in Parallel and two in Series, I would not like to maintain two type of electrolyte; that will be maintenance headache.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tbhavsar View Post
    Catalyst concentration will also depend on number of cells you connect in Series. From my experience, you can add more NaOH or KOH in series than running in Parallel. E.g. if I want to run 4 cells; two in Parallel and two in Series, I would not like to maintain two type of electrolyte; that will be maintenance headache.
    Good point.

Just report that you used concentration x in your series cells and concentration y in the parallel.

If your cells leak, how would you know what they were to refill?

BoyntonStu

timetowinarace Guest
    For reporting experiment results, I agree that the practical rules outlined above should be applied.

As for series cells needing a higher concentration, it's a matter of simple electronics. Each seperate cell that is added effectively adds resistance to the circut. Take two 100Ohm resisters and put them in series and measure the resistance and you get 200Ohms or two times the resistance as one. The same applies to electrolyser cells. Two cells will double the resistance and cut the current by half. At least in theory anyway. There are variables but doubling the consentration of the solution should half the resistance in two cells in series and keep the current draw the same as using one cell with the origanal solution. I doubt it would work accuratley but it should be ballpark.