Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controversies about Ortho and Para H

Some of the same manufacturers of HHO generators make claims about the "quality" of the HHO gas.

This sounds a lot like what Smacktard was saying when he decided to dump his SS reactors and started selling the Titanium ones.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    fuelcatalyst
    Do you have a link to the guys claiming higher quality HHO?
    I was a verbal claim. I will look at their web sites and see if they expressed it there as well.

The web sites don't make the claim they made verbally.

Found a claim online, (not the same person, [as far as I know] who made the claim verbally).

http://discoverhydrogen.com/blog/201...s-designs.html

"Chromium ions in the HHO gas of Stainless Steel act to accelerate the decay of orthohydrogen to parahydrogen. Orthohydrogen is 4x more reactive than parahydrogen. Titanium cells make no chromium ions or other ions. That is why the HHO gas from a Titanium Cell is more reactive."

Sounds like HORSE POOP to me, (only one functional brain cell)

Here is more potential horse poop: (I wouldn't call it horse poop if it were proven rather then just stated)

http://www.drive60mpg.com/titaniumhho.html

"The gas produced with stainless

steel plates contains chromium

ions in it's gas. That's why this

usual powerful orthohydrogen gas

is less powerful and converted to

the less powerful parahydrogen.

Orthohydrogen is 2-4 times

powerful than parahydrogen.

When used Titaniumplates

(no MMO) there is no chromium

ions or any other ions what would

cause a power loss."

It also looks like B3 (Bob Boyce Boosters), claim to make orthohydrogen with stainless plates, (I didn't see where they bad mouthed other generators as the titanium fellers seem to do to generators using stainless). BTW: their claims may not be horse poop as the breakdown at room temps or higher is 75% Ortho 25% Para.

This subject is covered in depth in another forum:

http://www.waterfuelforall.com/forum...hp?topic=592.0

Hope this doesn't break any rules here.

Bottom line calculations from scientific papers favor 75% Ortho and 25% Para primarily due to the equlibrium based upon temps, then Bob Boyce shows up and makes an unsupported statement about how plates that have chromium oxide CrO3 produce Para H2 at room temps and above and claims "non disclosure" agreements prohibit him from providing a source or documentation proving the disclosure.

Hmmmmm..................

It seems to me that there are definite differences in explosion sounds between SS and nickle cells.

What does that mean, I'm not sure. One could have more Ortho or O2...

The main reason HHO works for MPG gains is speeding up the flame front. If ortho is faster burning then it seems reasonable that it would be preferred and possibly have better results In a ICE. JMO
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    It seems to me that there are definite differences in explosion sounds between SS and nickle cells.

What does that mean, I'm not sure. One could have more Ortho or O2...

The main reason HHO works for MPG gains is speeding up the flame front. If ortho is faster burning then it seems reasonable that it would be preferred and possibly have better results In a ICE. JMO
    There could be a lot of potential reasons for such an observation. BTW that is the main "finding", (different "sounding" explosions), that people who claim a difference in the "quality of HHO gas" actual claims rest. (With the exception of Bob Boyce who refuses to state his basis).

One of the people who made the verbal claim went to the trouble of recording the decibles of the resulting explosions, (another verbal claim).

Potential reasons for the difference

#1 different volumes of gas due to different production rates of the hydrogen generator. (Is the container actually full of the very light H2 gas that dissipates upward very fast)???

#2 if same volume of gas is exploded different amounts of water vapor within said gas???

#3 potential differences in ortho para H2 or far more significant monatomic vs diatomic H???

What is the controls on said experiments to test the sound? Is the gas weighed? How many times duplicated from start up? Temp and pressure of tests???

It seems to me after reading the entire thread on the other forum that temperature is likely the primary consideration for the presence of para and ortho H2.

None of the scientific papers were an exact test of para vs ortha H2 in HHO produced by low voltage electrolysis with various electrodes and electrolytes. That said: the calculations of the stainless camp seemed reasonable until Bob Boyce came along and made a diffinitive unsupported statement, (and Boyce's B3 cell uses segragated cells with stainless electrodes and is claimed to make the high ortho content H2).

BTW Chrome and Nickel (combined with other substances), both are catalysts for para H2 from ortho H2 (at very low temps) and nickel seemed the better of the two from the science papers I read.

The controversey looks like it will remain a controversy.

I hope a titanium plate person (or people) steps up and tries to prove their case, (if they can).

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    Drafty - I was just about to post the exact same thing - Smoke and Mirrors.

Para vs. Ortho is the same thing on the macro scale. The only concern anyone should have about it is if you are interested in the quantum effects of it. For our purposes, I'm 99.9999999% sure it means nothing. When you're talking about simple combustion reactions, Hydrogen is Hydrogen is Hydrogen is Hydrogen... Anyone who says otherwise more than likely has a $$$ stake in it one way or another.
    This has always been my stance, too, Phil. But I've been hearing so much about quality of gas, and from people whom I respect, that I'm doing my own testing, albeit rather slowly with no results one way or the other at this time.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Hey Phil-
    I found this, and believe me when I say that I have no financial stake in it-

A utility patent was awarded to Simon Ruskin, 3228 868, which relates the means by which hydrogen rocket fuel can be converted from para-hydrogen to ortho-hydrogen through the application of a magnetic field. Note that under U.S.C. 35 section 101, any utility patent must be proven scientifically operable and correct before issuance. Design patents are not subject to the above PTO ruling.

It should be noted that magnets are the prime source of control of the position of electrons. For example, a magnetic coil controls the sweep of our television's electron gun. We frequently use the term electromagnetism because we can't separate the effects one field has on the other. Therefore, it shouldn't be too surprising that chemical reactions which are determined by an element's valence (the surplus or deficiency in the outer orbital shells of the electrons) are affected by a magnetic field.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smile

So its been about 3 years.

Has anyone figured it out?

Astrocady, have you had any success with the experiments yet?

I am very interested to hear from you guys.

hearing so much about quality of gas, and from people whom I respect, that I'm doing my own testing, albeit rather slowly with no results one way or the other at this time.