Thread: KOH mixture to water

KOH mixture to water

KOH mixture to water
    i am presently running 3 inch 13plates
    dry cell configuration -NNNNN+NNNNN-

i am kind of confuse on the KOH mixture , some recommend 28% weight to weight for the max
    some recommend 10% concentration
    or 40grams to 1 liter?

as i will not be running PWM

on the read out it should be pulling about 7-8 amp on 40 gram by weight to 1 liter water
    i also understand that the more concentration the higher the amp drawn

of course i will start off with 30gram by weight to 1 liter of water then slowly increase the KOH crystal and measure with AMP meter

can someone answer my prayer ?

Thanks

ppcyl-

A. Only God answers prayers.

B. I have read your post three times and can not see where you have asked a question. I see where you have made a statement and erroneously ended it with a question mark, but it does not tell us what your question is.

Specifically, what is your question?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some one - correct me if I'm wrong here;

I think the solution to this problem would be to work out how many amps you should be drawing, based on the exposed surface of your cell, and then slowly increase the KOH concentration until it's just a little (10 - 20%) under that. Subsequent warming of the cell will allow more amps to be drawn through it.

Looks like you've done the calc, now just to experiment with the concentration of the electrolyte.

I don't have a PWM either, but may try to put one together at some stage, as some good gas production from the get-go would be good for my mileage. I need to climb (in my car thankfully) a 1000ft hill almost from cold every morning (google "Piha, New Zealand"), so a little HHO at this time would be quite beneficial. With a PWM, there is no waiting for the production to hit the maximum, as it is there as soon as the power is applied, and stays there.

Cheers,
    Martin.

on my 13 plates -NNNNN+NNNNN-
    KOH mixture is 50 Grams to 1 litre of water at 5 amp Drawn production approximate 500ml 750ml of HHO per minute

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ppcyl View Post
    on my 13 plates -NNNNN+NNNNN-
    KOH mixture is 50 Grams to 1 litre of water at 5 amp Drawn production approximate 500ml 750ml of HHO per minute
    "So Here It Is:
    10% KOH concentration (by weight) is so far reported and understood to be the optimum.

Water having a density of 1 gm/ml (gm and ml are equal)

KOH weighs apx. 11 grams per teaspoon. = ( 33 gms per Tbsp)

1 quart (qt) water = 946.35 grams

The total weight is always 1,000 grams containing whatever percentage of KOH that is wanted.
    So without turning this into a science class -- 10% mix is APX. 3 tbsp. of KOH to 1 Quart of water.

To make 1 Kg of a 10% KOH solution by weight, add 100 grams of KOH to 900 cc of water. The total weight is always 1,000 grams containing whatever percentage of KOH that is wanted. " -HH2U

This could be done more scientifically for accuracy, but it's close and this is pretty easy procedure afterall.

But as far as a safety aspect goes, you are aware that if you are using stainless plates and not titanium (cant remember the coating) that the KOH solution will leech Chromium out of the stainless steel thus leaving Hexavalent chromium in solution with the KOH. Google Hexavalent Chromium.

Therefore your KOH solution is extremely hazardous, and would have to be taken to a waste facility.

Hi...
    i have a 21 plates 6x15 2+ 2- 17N plates ... i dont know how to mix the KOH
    i have bought KOH(it is written on it 90% Pottasium Hydroxide)....
    can you help me how much should i mix with 1 liter?
    thanks