Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused as to what is happening with my setup

Confused as to what is happening with my setup

I have a standard cell layout (-5n+5n-). The inlet is on one side bottom and the outlet top on the opposite side. Both are 3/8". The inlet and outlet go to a resevoir bubbler (bottom entry), then through a second similar tank to act as a scrubber, then on to a final standard bubbler.

The bottom of the first tank is about 10" above the cell. The cell is in front of the radiator and the first tank at the back of the engine bay, so there is a run of 2 to 3 feet. There is a non between the tanks. Thought it might be causing back pressure but is the same when I take the cap off the first one.

When I first switch on the cell pushes out the electrolyte and fills the reservoir. After performing well for about 20 seconds the production falls and I notice that there are small bubbles coming up the inlet hose.

What I think is happening is that the cell is producing more than it can push out of the outlet and so is also pushing out the other way.

I am thinking that if I increase the number of holes through the top of the plates it would help, or maybe even add a second outlet on the other side of the cell, though finding room for this will be problem.

I would welcome any thoughts on thiss and whether any others have had a similar problem.

Thanks
    Regards

David

David,
    Sounds like the gas is backing up for sure. It would be a good idea to mount exhaust hoses on the front and back of the reactor.
    What size hose are you running? You may want to increase it's size.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    David,
    Sounds like the gas is backing up for sure. It would be a good idea to mount exhaust hoses on the front and back of the reactor.
    What size hose are you running? You may want to increase it's size.
    Thanks for the reply.

I am running 3/8" id hose on both.

I am thinking that maybe having just one 3/8 hole through the top plates is not enough.
    Regards

David

It's possible, but many people only have one hole (even smaller) with no problems. I have 3 holes at the top of all my plates and a gas line at the front and rear of the reactor. If it's feasible, I'd try just adding another gas port before drilling more holes in the plates. Besides being a pain in the a$$, why waste precious surface area?
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

It's possible, but many people only have one hole (even smaller) with no problems. I have 3 holes at the top of all my plates and a gas line at the front and rear of the reactor. If it's feasible, I'd try just adding another gas port before drilling more holes in the plates. Besides being a pain in the a$$, why waste precious surface area?
    Thanks

I suppose that it is mostly gas at the top so you are not actually wasting a productive area.

I think I might try the extra holes first as I don't really have much room to fit another on the back.
    Regards

David

Hey David,
    I've read your description four times now, trying to visualize it as best I can.. I have to agree with LHazleton, you need another gas exit on the opposite side. I know you said that there is not much room, so maybe a little shifting of location or a new slightly longer or different bracket might be necessary. I promise you that drilling more holes in your plates will gain you nothing in relation to the particular problem you are having. Photos are VERY helpful, in that others may see possibilities that didn't occur to you and so are able to suggest solutions you may not have thought of. I realize that any rearrangement of components (even slightly) at this stage of the game is a royal PITA, and looked upon with dread, but if that turns out to be the solution, then....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    Hey David,
    I've read your description four times now, trying to visualize it as best I can.. I have to agree with LHazleton, you need another gas exit on the opposite side. I know you said that there is not much room, so maybe a little shifting of location or a new slightly longer or different bracket might be necessary. I promise you that drilling more holes in your plates will gain you nothing in relation to the particular problem you are having. Photos are VERY helpful, in that others may see possibilities that didn't occur to you and so are able to suggest solutions you may not have thought of. I realize that any rearrangement of components (even slightly) at this stage of the game is a royal PITA, and looked upon with dread, but if that turns out to be the solution, then....
    Thanks

Unfortunately I don't think photos would help - it is bad enough for me to see it freely.

Just to give you some idea, it is sitting on top of the oil cooler, in front of the auto trans oil cooler, and that is along side the fan for the air con, so I just have the space between that and the grille. It is a struggle even to get it mounted there. It is possible that I could move the auto cooler back a bit but that means taking a lot of stuff out even to see if it is feasible. I do agree with you though that that might be the best option.

Just occurred to me that mounting another one on the front might work it I put more holes in the neutrals. I use square gaskets so that won't be a problem.

When we bench tested it, it ran fine though there was something like a 2ft or more head, the relevance of which did not occur to me.

Appreciate the input
    Regards

David

That's the worst thing about building these; 20/20 hindsight.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0

That's the worst thing about building these; 20/20 hindsight.
    I've got plenty to spare if you want some
    Regards

David

LOL........Thanks David, but I've got 53 years of it as it is....
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0