Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused as to what is happening with my setup

You might try putting a check valve in your feed line, forcing the gases to exit the other way.

I once hooked up a lot of small cell in parallel by using manafolds made of 1/2 PVC on top and bottom of the cells. I had trouble with cirulation until I added check valves on each cell's input line.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    You might try putting a check valve in your feed line, forcing the gases to exit the other way.

I once hooked up a lot of small cell in parallel by using manafolds made of 1/2 PVC on top and bottom of the cells. I had trouble with cirulation until I added check valves on each cell's input line.
    Thanks but have already tried that.

Thinking about it afterwards I realised that it is building up pressure at the back of the cell and putting in a valve is doing nothing to alleviate the problem. Bit like taking an aspirin for a headache when the real cure is to stop hitting your head with a brick .

I think I have to make it easier for the gas to escape, then hopefully my production will come up.
    Regards

David

Still frustrated with this setup

I have been examining my layout and found that the top of the cell is about level with the bottom of the reservoir. Thinking that this is my problem I found some space above the sump guard and have managed to lower it by about 7", but unfortunately this has not made any improvement in the output.

I have noticed that when it starts, the level of the reservoir increases - almost doubles the volume, not that it is that big. So I would assume that the cell is only about half full. Is this what happens with other cells?

At the moment the cell is in front of the radiator and the reservoir close to the firewall. So 2 to 3 feet back. Wondering if I should try to mount the reservoir directly over the cell, or should there be some restriction in the outlet to keep more electrolyte in the cell.

As you can see I am totally confused over this and would appreciate some words of wisdom.
    Regards

David

I've always kept my reservoir about 6" above the reactor. The cells are always flooded up to the gas ports. The electrolyte goes up the gas lines and re-enters the reservoir.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    I've always kept my reservoir about 6" above the reactor. The cells are always flooded up to the gas ports. The electrolyte goes up the gas lines and re-enters the reservoir.
    Thanks for confirming that. Is your reservoir directly above or displaced horizontally from it?
    Regards

David

David,
    It's directly above.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    David,
    It's directly above.
    Thanks. Just can't find a way to do it on mine. If I did squeeze on in it would block the cooling to the oil cooler for the auto box and I daren't risk that.
    Regards

David

It is not unusual for the reservoir to increase in volume when you start up the reactor. The opposite happens when you turn it off. There are two reasons for this. The first is the outlet hose when running, is not full, nor is the reactor, but when the reactor is not running if fills up to the level of the reservoir flooding the reactor and the pipe (s). The second is the pressure in the reactor above the level of the electrolyte in the reactor compared to the pressure below the electrolyte level. Input pressure versus output pressure. The size of the holes in your plates and the height of your reservoir are the determining factors. The right balance here is necessary. To much pressure on the outlet side does not allow the cell to fill up and in some cases the gas will push to much of the electrolyte out the input side. This reduces the active area and gives poor performance. The problem is critical to the proper operation of the reactor. The right size and placement of holes, reservoir height and volume, or a pump are the keys.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .