Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running HHO generator on separate battery

Question Running HHO generator on separate battery

Has anyone tried using a separate battery to run the HHO generator rather than running it off the car's electrical system?

Reason I ask is that it would make for a more efficient use of gasoline. A 180 amp hour deep cycle battery could run a 30 amp HHO system for 50 hours. I would suggest recharging the battery nightly, however. The battery could be charged at home overnight. I would think that the cost of charging the battery would be less than the fuel used to generate the needed electricity while driving.

What do you guys think? Would it make enough difference to notice?

You're right - it would be a little more efficient, but I don't know where you get the idea that it could run for 50 hours on a 180AH battery... At most, it could run the system for 6 hours(180AH/30A = 6hrs). The cost of the electricity would be cheaper per unit of energy.

Some real world data would be needed to actually figure out the overall system efficiency. Anyone up for the challenge? Oh wait, sounds like a job for my awesome Hulk controller that I haven't finished, yet. Dam.

You are right, Koya. To get the cell to produce properly at 11 to 12 volts, you would need to remove a bipolar plate to keep the gap voltage were it needs to be.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

I believe a couple of folks have done this with positive results. I think smack did it. And a guy on this forum. (working off the little memory i have) when the guy here disconnected his cell from his car's electrical it added something like 20% -35% better results.

If you look back about 6 months or more you might find it. I know the guy I'm thinking of who did this test was doing it due to Richard's crazy MPG thread.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

Damn Roland,
    You mention the Smacktard and Richard in one post!
    I now have a stomach ache due to bad memories, and seeing Phil and Shane in on the same thread has got me wondering about that Purple Dressed Pimp again.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Hey Koya,
    Don't the F2&350's still run both batteries in parallel with the big pos. cable crossing over in front of the radiator? If so, then i'm gonna say that you want to pull your pos from the one that doesn't go to the starter and the neg from the one that does. My reasoning comes from what I have learned at Oilburners.net, the diesel BB I belong to. They say that the battery that directly feeds the starter (through the start solenoid) really takes a beating and is always the first to go...

@ Roland Jaques- Roland you are confusing me-

Koya said "so I had a client throttle up sure enough the amps climb to the level which the cell should use." and " the cell I built if hooked up to a static battery (no charging system) it will not draw enough amps to produce the lpm they are capable of doing, not until a charging system is appliled to it, in this case the rpm increase for the alt."

Astro said "To get the cell to produce properly at 11 to 12 volts, you would need to remove a bipolar plate to keep the gap voltage were it needs to be."

..and you replied "I believe a couple of folks have done this with positive results. I think smack did it. And a guy on this forum. (working off the little memory i have) when the guy here disconnected his cell from his car's electrical it added something like 20% -35% better results.

Do you mean that this person got 20-35% better results from his cell by removing the alternators input from it, or by removing a bipolar plate so that the voltage split would be apropriate for 12.5v rather than 13.8-14.2v?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Damn Roland,
    You mention the Smacktard and Richard in one post!
    I now have a stomach ache due to bad memories, and seeing Phil and Shane in on the same thread has got me wondering about that Purple Dressed Pimp again.
    LMAO,

Sorry, I'll be more careful in the future

Darn right you will! I'm too old for severe cramps.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post

@ Roland Jaques- Roland you are confusing me-

Koya said "so I had a client throttle up sure enough the amps climb to the level which the cell should use." and " the cell I built if hooked up to a static battery (no charging system) it will not draw enough amps to produce the lpm they are capable of doing, not until a charging system is appliled to it, in this case the rpm increase for the alt."

Astro said "To get the cell to produce properly at 11 to 12 volts, you would need to remove a bipolar plate to keep the gap voltage were it needs to be."

..and you replied "I believe a couple of folks have done this with positive results. I think smack did it. And a guy on this forum. (working off the little memory i have) when the guy here disconnected his cell from his car's electrical it added something like 20% -35% better results.

Do you mean that this person got 20-35% better results from his cell by removing the alternators input from it, or by removing a bipolar plate so that the voltage split would be apropriate for 12.5v rather than 13.8-14.2v?
    Nether. Im sorry, i was replying to his orignal question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltrabagar View Post
    Has anyone tried using a separate battery to run the HHO generator rather than running it off the car's electrical system?
    What do you guys think? Would it make enough difference to notice?
    The guy i referred to was running his HHO the conventional way at first, from the cars electrical system, and he gained something like 25% MPG gain. Then he installed a separate battery and charged that separate battery at night from home power. when he compared the two he said gained an additional 30% ish in MPG gain. He was now totaling more than 40% MPG gain.
    When he did the math, cost gas powered vs home electric cost. It showed a good bit of dollar saving when charging from the house power. Even when he factored in the cost of a battery... it was surprising to me. i wish i could find that thread to make sure i got the numbers correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    Nether. Im sorry, i was replying to his orignal question.

The guy i referred to was running his HHO the conventional way at first, from the cars electrical system, and he gained something like 25% MPG gain. Then he installed a separate battery and charged that separate battery at night from home power. when he compared the two he said gained an additional 30% ish in MPG gain. He was now totaling more than 40% MPG gain.
    When he did the math, cost gas powered vs home electric cost. It showed a good bit of dollar saving when charging from the house power. Even when he factored in the cost of a battery... it was surprising to me. i wish i could find that thread to make sure i got the numbers correct.
    You are absolutely correct Roland. We all should be running the HHO generators from a separate battery and charging the battery. The average cost of electricity is equivelent to $1.00 per gallon gas. Now factor in the 60% effeciency of the alternator and get your savings. The Nissan Leaf will run on batteries at about the cost of $1.00 per gallon gasoline due to the difference in energy costs. It still will never pay back the difference in the cost of the vehicle so does not make financial sence but running your cell off an onboard battery then recharging it does make sence.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.