Thread: Wiring Help For A Newb

Wiring Help For A Newb

I've got a toggle switch that I can use to turn the unit on or off in the cab, but I would prefer to not have to wire through the firewall in my truck. What's the easiest way to wire the cell so that it only runs when the engine is running? It's installed on a 2008 Ranger with the 2.3L inline 4. I've heard that wiring it off of the fuel pump relay would be the smart thing to do, but wouldn't that produce a fairly large drag on the energy trying to reach the fuel pump?

Lastly, I see a lot of people using a 15 or 30 amp fuse in line with the generator...is this absolutely necessary? Could I simply use a 30 amp breaker from a hard ware store if it is? (Please excuse my ignorance...electrical systems are definitely my weak point!)

Thanks!

You don't want to wire the reactor from the fuel pump. This will allow the system to be running with the key-on/engine off. It should go from the oil pressure sending unit to a solenoid attached to the battery.
    A breaker works just fine. A 30 amp inline breaker costs about $6 in any parts store.
    You should have a switch mounted inside the car to enable you to turn the unit on and off as necessary.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Can you explain to me why you need a 30 amp inline fuse or breaker...I'm not sure I comprehend why it is needed at all if it's directly connected to the battery? Thanks!

Simply put, if there is any short in your system you do not want to burn up your car just the fuse. The same reason fuses are used in any other system on the car.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
    I've got a toggle switch that I can use to turn the unit on or off in the cab, but I would prefer to not have to wire through the firewall in my truck. What's the easiest way to wire the cell so that it only runs when the engine is running? It's installed on a 2008 Ranger with the 2.3L inline 4. I've heard that wiring it off of the fuel pump relay would be the smart thing to do, but wouldn't that produce a fairly large drag on the energy trying to reach the fuel pump?
    Wiring anything at all to the Fuel Pump circuit will cause damage, don't do it! Look at your truck's fuse box, and see if there is a terminal for BAT. or ACC. I have mine wired to battery with a toggle switch, and an Amber warning light that comes on when the reactor comes on. I think wiring the reactor to start when the engine does is wrong, from an automotive engineering point of view, the engine needs to warm up a little before introducing HHO to it, and if you are running the MAP enhancer set it for rich until the engine warms up.

My unit is in the trunk. 2 wires are connected directly to the battery. The positive one has 2 30 amp fuses in parallel going into it. The wires run out the hood along the sill and into the trunk. They are switched with a relay. The relay is powered by a cord to my cigarette lighter. The lighter in this car goes off with the key. If your lighter is not switched with the key this could cause big problems like blowing up the intake manifold and or discharging your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by thedore View Post
    The relay is powered by a cord to my cigarette lighter. The lighter in this car goes off with the key. If your lighter is not switched with the key this could cause big problems like blowing up the intake manifold and or discharging your battery.
    Discharged battery would be the least problem in that situation

I think that your approach is not good, cigarette lighter is "on" in "key-on/engine off" (first click) situation as well.. At least that's the situation in my car...