Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium plates

Titanium plates

Hi I have been following things on this site for a while now and I want to ask a quick question about titanium plates.

Would there be any issue in using a combination of mmo coated titanium and bare titanium plates in a sealed dry cell?

Cheers

I am just building my first HHO unit and will be using titanium for the anodes. Titanium is very corrosion resistant so I thought I would try that first.

I have been metal working and machining for years now and have great sources for most metals.

Brent,
    care to share your resources for obtaining SS and ti. I would like to have another source for my plates. Thanks in advance.

Dear all,

I have all Ti plates to make -NNNN+NNNN-, but it works only for about 1 minute then the current went down from 10 Amps to 0.5 Amp only? please kindly share your experiences, and please tell me what is wrong, Thanks.

Hendra

Quote Originally Posted by saudara View Post
    Dear all,

I have all Ti plates to make -NNNN+NNNN-, but it works only for about 1 minute then the current went down from 10 Amps to 0.5 Amp only? please kindly share your experiences, and please tell me what is wrong, Thanks.

Hendra
    I understand everyones desire to get away from Stainless because of possible hexchrom. Everyone needs to understand that a cell made with plain Titanium will simply not work. The anode will quickly be rendered non conductive. Titanium is probably the worst choice to make an efficient device from. It is a worse conductor than stainless and quickly quits drawing power.

Nickel 200 is the only real choice if you want to migrate away from stainless. The obvious issue is cost. The best solution if you don't want to spend the money for nickel is to overbuild a stainless cell. As long as you don't over amp stainless it will be very safe.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Thank you Larry,

For the neutral cathode plates, are you using Nickel plates too?

Thank you Larry,

For the neutral cathode plates, are you using Nickel plates too?
    Any neutral plates will be both an anode and a cathode. Hence the term bipolar. If my design is Nickel then I will only use Nickel. If I use stainless then all plates will be stainless. Do not mix dissimilar metals.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Dear Larry,
    I will try to get Nickel Plates, don't know if it will be available or not, how thick you will choose for 4 x 6 inch plates?

Thanks

Dear Larry,
    I will try to get Nickel Plates, don't know if it will be available or not, how thick you will choose for 4 x 6 inch plates?

Thanks
    Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you should use Nickel 200. It is very expensive. When I bought Nickel I used 28 gauge stuff.

Cost wise I would use stainless and just not over amp the cell. I just would not touch Titanium.

Larry

Larry,

I do find the source for my HHO plates, I have ordered 4x6" 1MM thick, for the Nickel 200 costs USD 10 each and for Ru coated Ti is USD 38 each. Hopefully will come to me in 1 week time.

The USD 38 one is double sided Ru coated, the neutral plate is one side coated (cost USD 21 each) and the cathode plate is plain Ti plate (cost USD 6 each) the supplier says all the plates will be flatted, sand blasted, well cleaned etc.

How long your Nickel plates will serve you? I found yours is 1/3 thick of mine, if the thin one is good enough, I will change my order for the 0.5MM.

Thanks