Thread: What fan to use on a PWM

What fan to use on a PWM

I have a Maxx Tronic MX067 which is in a project box and have fitted a normal 80mm fan on top. I did not consider at the time that they would not be happy with the 14 volts on a car, or it would seem so since two have died. Do you use any specific fan or put anything in series to drop the voltage

Thanks
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    Put a 1watt 10 ohm resistor in line. That should protect the fan.

Shane
    Thanks Shane
    Regards

David

that will likely do the trick but if you want to know for sure find the specs on the fan. If you know the voltage at wattage it should be run at you can figure out how much more resistance it needs. To do so refer to the formulas in my signature \/
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_ View Post
    that will likely do the trick but if you want to know for sure find the specs on the fan. If you know the voltage at wattage it should be run at you can figure out how much more resistance it needs. To do so refer to the formulas in my signature \/
    Thanks for the info
    Regards

David

my fan is connected to the pos and neg out to the electrolyzer, as the pwm is turned up and down the fan speed also speeds up and slows down so unless your your running your pwm at full beans this should be an easy fix.

Martin.