Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shim cell design - take a look

Shim cell design - take a look

Ok guys here is the design I spent a ton of time and money working on:

(one note, the white shims are only shown to show detail that will not show up in a picture of a black shim. Also they look a little warped but that is due to the fact they are a soft flexible material used for an experiment production shims are hard plastic)

As you can see the design is actually very simple but very effective at limiting current leakage. By eliminating the holes in the plate that are exposed to solution, current leakage is significantly reduced. Is it totally eliminated? NO. The channels still provide a path for current leakage to take place but increases the distance (resistance).

My goal with this design was to make something that would be very efficient but relatively inexpensive to build. As such I will be offering the parts for sale for the following prices:

Shims $3each
    Gaskets $3.50each
    Power plates $4.50each
    Plates $4each
    Endplates $15each

That would put the price of a 7 plate cell at:
    Shims $3 x 7
    Gaskets $3.50 x 8
    Power plate $4.50 x 2
    Plates $4 x 5
    Endplates $15 x 2
    Total $108 + shipping and the cost of hardware.

As for MMW, let's say a conservative 5.5. I am not a big fan of advertising MMW's as everyone will measure differently.

If anyone is interested in some PM me.

Shane

thats interesting looking Shane
    I would love to see one assembled and bench tested

Shane If I wanted to buy enough materials to build a 13 plate setup, is there a way to make a solid shim for the center plate to devide the 2 cell groups? Also wondering will there be a couple differnt size plates or kits?

Let me know. Thanks "D"

You could but it would be more trouble than it would be worth. As for more sizes, I will make any size you would like.... the mold just cost a couple $1k..... LOL yea no joke. I spent a lot having these made....

I will do a video when I get time.

Shane

Hey Shane, great job man! I instantly understood how the shims worked when I looked a them because I came up with the same idea in 2011. That was back when I was working with 4" washers as my only source of stainless steel. I planned to plug the center hole of the washers and use rubber gaskets as my cut-outs/holders.
    Actually, I still have the parts sitting there, but I never assembled them because I found a new source of stainless steel which has been working well for me ever since then.
    It's good to see the plan being funded and materializing in this manner. All the best with the setup.

Ok so I saw it assembled in your other thread, she is a beauty,,

Shane

There is the input and output holes but what is the 3rd hole

Regards
    Civic Si 4 doors 2004, 1.7 liters V-TEC
    5N2 reactor
    CCPWM @ 7 amp
    1 Gal Capacity
    ~2% NaOH
    Waterless Peat Moss Bubbler

Power connection. The cell in the picture didn't have the power plate installed.

Short internet connection, Shane are those similar to REK's design? Should be back in mainland soon.

Same idea, total different design.