Hello everyone!

I’m doing a research project about Hydrogen and its applications, especially the energetic ones, and I’m planning to build a Dry Cell due to demonstrate some of them, but I’ve a few questions…

First of all you should know that I want to build a cell to be powered with about 12v, so that I can use it both in a car (connected to its battery) or connected to a PWM circuit with a AC/DC converter. I want to be able to regulate the gas production by limiting the current that goes through the cell but not changing the voltage so that I can use the cell for different aplications that require differents amounts of gas: a car (if it’s possible and works well), a welding torch (so that I’ll need a flashback arrestor and all that stuff)…

Well, so now the questions… The first one is that what would be the best plate configuration to achieve a good production? I’ve read that a Dry Cell is better than a Bath Cell because they don’t have leakage due to the edges are not in the solution and about the configuration I’ve to achieve about 1,4v - 2v per gap, so I think the best configuration would be -NNNNN+, so what do you thing about that? And how many blocks like that I should put together to achieve enough production? Maybe -NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN- will be enough?

Oh, I nearly forgotten… My plates are made of steel and measure 10cm x 15cm x 1mm.

Now my second question. This is about how to build the cell. I’ve seen that a lot of Dry Cells are built in a similar way: The plates have a soft PVC or polycarbonate separator or something like that between them and a hole in the middle to allow the water flow; the two closing covers are made of methacrylate and one has a water input in the bottom and the other has a gas output in the top... and all that is packed together with long screws. So I have two different questions about all this: First, I want to know what would be better to use: soft PVC or polycarbonate; and the second one is if the following design is better than the one I’ve just explained.

And the last two questions: How can I measure the HHO production? And is there anybody who can help me with the circuit? I don’t know how to start with that… I’ve seen Patrick J. Kelly’s circuit ant it seems very confusing.

Well… I hope anyone can help me with that. Thanks in advance